Any one install a remote start?

Danpatters583

I was curious. Has anyone installed a remote start on one of these cars? I try not to drive mine in the snow. Cuz I want it to stay nicer obviously. But I do go out and run it every now and then. I was wondering about the remote start option because I live in a more sketchy neighborhood and I don't like leaving the keys in the ignition and walking away. It's a good way for it to get stolen. So, if anyone has installed one, which brand did you go with? And what are your recommendations for where to splice the wires into the main harness?

Thanks in advance!

Best way is a factory harness from an 89 or later since it also disables the anti-theft but the factory 4-button did not include remote start. So if you go aftermarket you need one that can disable the GM anti-theft (VATS)

2 hours ago, Danpatters583 said:

I don't like leaving the keys in the ignition and walking away. It's a good way for it to get stolen.

Lock the doors when you leave it running. At least they would have to knock the windows out to get in, assuming you have a coupe. If that is likely to happen you might want to consider moving somewhere else.

• Agree 1

Thanks for the advice. Moving unfortunately is not exactly that easy. But it is in the works. Won't happen for a few years unfortunately but eventually will. For the mean time, I'll look for one that by passes the vats system or bypass it myself. Thanks. 

• Like 1

Huh ? Never saw a remote start that required leaving the keys in the ignition. VATS is well known,

I had a remote start installed on a 1999 Eldorado by a local aftermarket vendor who sold truck and car parts and accessories.  They advertised that they sold remote start systems on all trucks and cars.  They had the tools to reprogram the car's electronics to accept the new remote start feature.  My suggestion is just google car remote start systems/features.  BestBuy, Inc. comes to mind.

Edited by ship

On 1/5/2023 at 10:45 AM, Padgett said:

Huh ? Never saw a remote start that required leaving the keys in the ignition. VATS is well known,

No no. Lol. I don't think there is such a thing. I could bypass the vats system. I've done it before on an old Camaro. Not hard to do. I was just wondering if any one had any experience with installing a remote start them selves. Currently, I have to start the car, leave the keys in it, and lock the doors. Which I don't like doing. But not the end if the world. I can always just stand outside and watch it.

On 1/5/2023 at 4:47 PM, ship said:

I had a remote start installed on a 1999 Eldorado by a local aftermarket vendor who sold truck and car parts and accessories.  They advertised that they sold remote start systems on all trucks and cars.  They had the tools to reprogram the car's electronics to accept the new remote start feature.  My suggestion is just google car remote start systems/features.  BestBuy, Inc. comes to mind.

Thank you! I was hesitant to have some one install a system but I may do it for times sake.