New alternator question....

Alchemy333

Purchased a refurbished alternator from Rockauto. It arrived with a round steel plate between the fan and pully... which I have NEVER seen before. It's a Remy. It certainly dosent look appropriate for the period either. Has anyone experienced this before? Not sure if it was simply to protect fan for shipping from manufacturer or if it is how they come to be installed. Considering returning. Let me know your thoughts... thanx!32654.thumb.jpeg.7d881c530a0c1671944ccb4aefd94917.jpeg32655.thumb.jpeg.0cce1de8ba9a0877a8664003dffb719f.jpeg

That’s not unusual. This is a pic of my 140a from a junkyard engine. The air is pulled in the back of the alternator over the rectifier and brushes and exits through the fan. It probably increases efficiency of the fan by reducing turbulence. As long as the belt lines up, it is all good360B1A7F-E4A0-432A-89F8-AF31E5AAFF28.thumb.jpeg.d399548bf5225d9714a9762fb4dd07bc.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, 2seater said:

That’s not unusual. This is a pic of my 140a from a junkyard engine. The air is pulled in the back of the alternator over the rectifier and brushes and exits through the fan. It probably increases efficiency of the fan by reducing turbulence. As long as the belt lines up, it is all good360B1A7F-E4A0-432A-89F8-AF31E5AAFF28.thumb.jpeg.d399548bf5225d9714a9762fb4dd07bc.jpeg

Interesting. I guess I'll just go ahead and install it. I've just never seen a GM alternator designed like this. Does make better sense though as far as efficiency. Thank you.

15 hours ago, Alchemy333 said:

Interesting. I guess I'll just go ahead and install it.

I would keep it if you can make it work. Returns to RockAuto are easy but be ready to lose a lot of money when you do. In my experience they will subtract shipping cost to you from your refund. That means you will lose shipping costs in both directions even if they sent the wrong part. I'm sticking with Amazon that has free shipping and free returns whenever they have the part I need.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, ship said:

The plate is on a 140amp alternator vs. no plate on a 120amp alternator.

That seems very possible. I am trying to get a sense of the dimensions of the two original photos. I know I was concerned about the 140a being one inch larger diameter, but that was a non-issue. Since the fan is approximately flush with the case in all the photos, my assumption is the plated fan is also larger diameter? Does the replacement alternator match in external dimensions?? Both will bolt in just fine.

• Agree 1

CS 144 is a great alternator.  However is a "large case", plug wires may not fit under.

BTW "Remy" is not GM. "In 2015, Borg-Warner acquired Remy International Inc"

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2023 at 8:47 AM, 2seater said:

That seems very possible. I am trying to get a sense of the dimensions of the two original photos. I know I was concerned about the 140a being one inch larger diameter, but that was a non-issue. Since the fan is approximately flush with the case in all the photos, my assumption is the plated fan is also larger diameter? Does the replacement alternator match in external dimensions?? Both will bolt in just fine.

It was exactly the same size and fit like the original.20230113_202309.thumb.jpg.a567e588f80cb59fb6b5d66f85657bae.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thought the original 120A was a small case and 140A was a large case but looks like can still run plug wires under the alternator.

• Agree 1