PVC valve replacement

tomsbuick

IMG_1123.JPG

I'm in the process of determining why my 1990 coupe is leaking oil and one possible reason is 
a bad PCV valve. I've located the valve ( very tight spot between steering pump ,wire harness and under fuel rail) and
any  suggestions on how to replace it? I've got the new valve and the grommet. Thanks
 I did replace the valve- it took a while. I was going to take it to the GM dealer but did it myself. It is a tricky task to install the new 
valve- I had to put on the return hose partially on first and then position the valve to go back into the grommet. Made a special
pusher tool to push the PCV valve back in- slotted PVC pipe that fit. Here is a picture.

I thought I saw a reply on this yesterday? In any case, there aren't any tricks to it other than remove the valve from the upper hoes type grommet first so the valve can be turned to clear and pull and wiggle until it comes out of the lower grommet. The lower is the one that is likely to be crispy and hard so pulling the valve free can be a struggle with colorful language. Try not to drop pieces into the hole but it will do no harm if some falls in. There is a large pan below that acts as an oil separator so the pieces cannot fall in the valley.

Be advised the grommet itself is often a problem with regard to oil leaks as due to age and heat it has hardened up and doesn't seal so well. At least that has been my experience on my 88's. 91's have a different location for the PCV under a metal plate and is a better design IMHO, as it is much less prone to oil leaks than 88-90 setup. The other issue is the aged grommet can break easily, and finding a proper replacement wasn't so easy, I bought two Dorman assortment packs to finally get what I needed. If there is a better source for the correct PCV grommet, please share it.

I need to tackle replacing the PCV valve. Would it help to keep a shop vac hose close to the grommet while pulling the PVC out to try to prevent the grommet from going into the intake manifold?

I need to tackle replacing the PCV valve. Would it help to keep a shop vac hose close to the grommet while pulling the PVC out to try to prevent the grommet from going into the intake manifold?

You could try that but it is pretty crowded in that area. The other caution would be to be sure flammable liquids are not present in the area you are drawing from or the vacuum becomes a bomb. The lower grommet doesn't fall into the intake, it opens into a large pan under the manifold that acts as a oil vapor baffle/separator so there is little danger of the parts getting into the moving parts.

Thanks. I appreciate the input. There is nothing like hearing from someone who has experience doing the job. Good point on the explosive fumes.

• 2 weeks later...

The new PCV grommet is very difficult to install. If you do not have symptoms of a faulty PCV i would not change it.

Thanks Tom. I guess it would be better to check the PCV valve before jumping in to change it but the only way I know to check it is to remove it and shake it to see if it rattles. That calls for pulling it out. Anyone know of a better way to test the PCV valve?