Instrument panel blank

Lee Beery

What should I do?  I am thinking of buying a 1990 Reatta that has no indications/readouts on the instrument panel. Is this going to to a big problem.  Help  Lee

They are still available used. I just picked one up this week with a United Radio rebuild sticker on it. I could sell it to you if you buy the car. The cost would be $100.00 plus freight. My email is; lemke1044@aol.com

The instrument cluster is very easy to replace - maybe 15 minutes the first time and less after that.  My 1989 had a similar issue - once I got a good instrument unit, it all worked great.  Just a couple of plugs in the back to undo/connect.  Check local Pick-N-Pull junkyards (Row52.com) for 1990-91 Reattas or Rivieras.  The instrument clusters are usually $35 and are guaranteed.

I said something and have edited it. 

Bob is correct that one can call around and get parts cheaper. Parts are even cheaper if you turn into a "junker" and go to yards and pull them yourself. But let's look at Bob's history of buying an Instrument Cluster [iPC]. The first two he bought did not work but the 3rd one did. 

Let's say he spent $35.00 plus $20.00 for freight on the one that didn't work. And he calls the yard and they demand he returns the IPC for a credit. So he is out the freight to return it [$20.00]. 

And now he looks for another one and finds it and the cost $35.00 plus $20.00 freight and that too doesn't work and he has to pay return freight [another $20.00].

Now he finds a third one buys it for $35.00 plus freight $20.00 plus the first two return freight charges of $20.00 each equals a grand total of $95.00. Time spent about 3 weeks.

The only reason Bob came out was that the first two sellers gave him a ful refund without him returning the IPC.

I went to a yard 75 miles one way [150 miles round trip] to look at a transmission for my car and spotted 3  Reattas and 3 Riverias there. There were a total of 3 1990/91 IPC's there. I bought one IPC [it had a rebulid sticker] and other items and left two IPC's [no rebuild sticker] behind. On a later date I went back for those two IPCs plus other parts, got back home and tested them and neither worked. Now I have to return them and hopefully while there get more parts to make the trip worthwhile.

Point is a good supplier spends their time seperating the chaff from the wheat so when you the client orders a part it works. And you get that part in a timely manner. 

So yes "You can do better" 

I do this as a hobby to help others out and a way to make a few bucks on the side to do repairs on my cars when needed.