brake system question

spierce19

I have a 91 and the red brake warning light is on. Just replaced the master cylinder and front brake pads, bled the system. The brakes seem to working fine, no issues on stopping the vehicle, the pedal feels normal, not extra soft or hard. But the light remains on. Any clues as to what might be tripping the light?

Welcome to the forum!

Kind of a stupid answer but it's all I can think of at the moment; if the parking break is the slightest pressed it will turn on the Red Brake light.

Oh also if the accumulator doesn't reach the correct pressure the red light will remain on, but then the pump will be running too...so that may not be the issue.

Hope this helps, if I or someone else thinks of something we will post it. I am sure we can help you.

Thank you for the welcome :) I thought of the emergency brake, it seems to be releasing all the way, but maybe there is a sensor i don't know about. The 91 does not have the system with the accumulator. I learned that from this site. We are brand new to the Reatta, and have a lot to learn, but so far we love the car.

oops! yeah my bad I have a tendency to not look at the year and just assume you have the Teves system with the accumulator - Sorry!

Yeah you will learn a lot from this forum and from the members, also check out the tutorials and diagnostics section they are very helpful and informative.

Scott

Welcome to the forum. Did the red light start coming on when you changed the master cylinder or did you replace the master cylinder because the red light was on?

I don't know much about the '91 brake system but I imagine the red light can be triggered by the parking brake switch or the low brake fluid level switch just the same as the other models. That is where I would start looking for the problem first.

The '91 may also have an proportioning valve (sometimes called an equalizer valve) that has a switch that can trip the red light if the braking system is out of balance. If so usually bleeding the lines right at the valve will center it and turn off the red warning light. If it has a proportion valve like most GM vacuum booster brake systems it will look like the one in the photo below and it should be mounted near the vacuum booster.

Prop-Valve.jpg

The light came on after. The brake fluid that was in the car was most likely the original fluid, the color and smell were not right. The car had 47,000 miles. It had been sitting in a garage in AZ and rarely driven. The seal went out on the master cylinder as soon as we replaced the fluid. We were thinking of bleeding the system one more time, and checking for sensors. the photo and the tips are a great help. Once again, thank you. This website is really neat, the Reatta is unique, its nice to look at the pics of other cars, as you don't ever see them. :) 

sandi

I'm glad you enjoy the website. I hope you find your brake problem. Let us  know how it turns out. If we can be of assistance please let us know.

Found the problem! It was a bad fluid level sensor. Which is frustrating because it is a brand new reservoir that we bought when we did the master cylinder. But i guess on the upside, while we were searching all around for other clues we found a vacuum leak. So all is good for now....no more brake light.  :) 

sandi