CRT Stopped Working

davetheant

Hey folks,

New owner of a 1988 here! Loving the car so far except for one issue -- the CRT isn't turning on anymore! I'm hoping the community here can help me identify my next steps.

Backstory:

For a couple weeks everything worked as expected. Then I noticed the screen would turn off randomly and come back on a few minutes later seemingly randomly. Eventually the screen turned off and has stayed off since. The lights on the buttons around the display are still on. The touch screen remains operational. Previous owner stated the display was rebuilt, and this seems to check out, as the connectors look new and the internal circuitry also looks new.

Things I've tried:
- Browsing the forums ^.^

- Checking all the fuses in the easy-to-access passenger side fuse box: none are blown, and all look pretty clean

- Jiggling the key a bit, nothing here

- Unplugging the unit, spraying the connections with contact cleaner, letting it dry, and plugging it back in

- Cleaning & tightening the common ground connections near the battery (sprayed these with contact cleaner too): connections looked clean and were tight already

- Checking battery voltage: read 12.2 so I spun by autozone for a second opinion and they said it seemed okay

I've ordered the service manual to hopefully gain some insight, but in the mean time I'm pretty stumped. Any ideas on how to proceed from here?

CRT receives power from the Central Power Supply (CPS). Did you check that ? CRTs are also famous for cracked solder joints inside. Should be visible.

Thanks Padgett. I haven't checked the CPS--how would I do that? Since the IPC is working, I didn't think there would be an issue with it. I'll take a look to see about any cracked solder joints. In the mean time I've attached a battery charger, 12.2 is a bit low from what I've gathered. 

Hey Ronnie thanks for the response. Pushing the radio hard button doesn't turn the screen on unfortunately, but the light next to the radio button comes on as expected.

Keep in mind that the CRT is really three separate items: the Heath Zenith CRT, the touchscreen & buttons, and the Central Power Supply. It is all described in the Factory Service Manual. Is also nice to have a Kent-Moore J-34914.