Horse Blanket

Top Down

Why is there a horse blanket, aka, rear deck cover on convertibles?   Yes, I suppose it shields the deck from the sun, but it is a real pain to use.   Seems to get in the way when the top is lowered and then gets in the way when the top is up.  Does anyone still use it or am I missing something?

Here is a picture of the "horse blanket."   Each end is attached via a strap to the top, but the cover is not attached to the rear shelf area as it just sits there when the top is upDSC06456.thumb.JPG.6c61e589e100224110c98e6070d78759.JPG.  So it gets in the way when lowering the top and then often slides down when the top is up.   Looks nice but a pia.  The owners manual actually has a picture of it as part of the instruction as to how to operate the top....................

On 11/23/2022 at 8:44 AM, Padgett said:

Interesting. Have had several 90 convertibles but never saw one of those before.

May be one of those items that gets lost / misplaced over time. 

Kind of like these:

72370BCD-7E92-43FC-BC2F-F22ADD00233F.thumb.jpeg.6c473df19aee9c0823ad60bc6ab42d0b.jpeg

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DPS.01 said:

Kind of like these:

72370BCD-7E92-43FC-BC2F-F22ADD00233F.thumb.jpeg.6c473df19aee9c0823ad60bc6ab42d0b.jpeg

I have an extra one in inventory "just in case".

• Like 1

I also noticed your US Navy SSN 605 ball cap.  I had an uncle that was a WWII submariner in the South Pacific.  GO NAVY

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Padgett said:

back of the boat

I was a back of the boat sailor. 
Nuclear Trained Electricians Mate….

Jack Power & Light; made the screws turn and lights burn…

That was a long time ago….

• Like 2

My dad did his 30.  Retired as a Sr. Chief Gunners Mate (E8) and DI.  He was also a Pearl Harbor survivor (Battleship Oklahoma BB37).

• Like 3

When I was a kid there were still a few vets around from the War of Northern Aggression. Grandfather was a top kick in the War to End All Wars, father was a Canoe U grad in War 2.

• Like 1

As I haven't received any direct feedback on the use of the "horse blanket,"  I will assume that no other convertible on the ROJ still has it in place.   I guess the straps were cut and the "horse blanket" was sent to the trash bin.........

On 11/24/2022 at 11:10 AM, DPS.01 said:

Kind of like these:

My 1990 Coupe (bought last month, my first Reatta) had the luggage strap neatly coiled and banded, sitting in one of the lockable storage bins like it had been there since the car drove off the lot!

• Like 4

On 12/2/2022 at 7:36 PM, sarookha said:

My 1990 Coupe (bought last month, my first Reatta) had the luggage strap neatly coiled and banded, sitting in one of the lockable storage bins like it had been there since the car drove off the lot!

That's where mine has been located since I've owned the '89 for over 25 yrs. Never had the occasion to use it, and, frankly, forget that its there.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ron Walker said:

That's where mine has been located since I've owned the '89 for over 25 yrs. Never had the occasion to use it, and, frankly, forget that its there.

Same here with my '91.

• Like 1