Steering Wheel

Top Down

I have often wondered why my '89 steering wheel finish is almost blemish free after 128k miles whereas my '90 steering wheel finish after 75k miles is worn in several places.   Seems to me that the leather is different for one thing.   As the owner of the '89 for almost 30 years I can attest to not using any hand lotions et al so perhaps that is another factor.   In any case, I am considering using a Wheelskins leather wrap on the '90 but am uncertain as to how it will look compared to the original.   For one thing, the Wheelskins wrap is a dark gray whereas the original is a lighter gray.   Also, the thickness of the wheel diameter will increase which may or not be a positive.  I haven't given much consideration for re-dying the gray wheel as I am uncertain as to how it will turn out.   Any inputs would be appreciated.

I used Wheelskins' Flame Red wheel wrap for my '91.  In order to have the resulting wheel thickness remain the same, I removed the original wrap.  I did not put the Wheelskins wrap over the original.  

WP_20130504_001.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ship said:

I used Wheelskins' Flame Red wheel wrap for my '91.

It looks great and appears to match really well. Good job.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

It looks great and appears to match really well. Good job.

You just have to take your time stitching.  I took pics and studied the stitching of the original before stripping off the old.

• Like 2

Have always liked fat steering wheels, replaced quite a few, even have a Reatta wheel in my Allante.

newwheel.jpg.17149e00d3f9b9c5e1e5d701fb0b896c.jpg

• Like 1

The gray steering wheel as shown in Padgett's post is an example of a '88/89 steering wheel which is in very good condition.  Its' gray leather is definitely different from my '90 gray leather and supports the supposition that the leather is different and changed from '89 to '90/91.  The '89 leather seems to be more supple.............and dyed better. 

11 hours ago, ship said:

I used Wheelskins' Flame Red wheel wrap for my '91.  In order to have the resulting wheel thickness remain the same, I removed the original wrap.  I did not put the Wheelskins wrap over the original.  

WP_20130504_001.jpg

Do you remember what size you bought?