'91 Drivers side headlight Mechanism

ship

I rebuilt the driver's side 3 years ago.  But every once in a great while, when the headlights are called for (either via twilight sentinel or by me manually) the headlight turns on but does not go up.  I then have to manually turn the rotator knob until the assembly is in its full upright position.  What am I missing?

FYI, I've never had this problem with the passenger's side headlight.     

It's either the little round knobs in the headlight motor or the crank that connects the headlight motor to the arm has rounded out.

Only if the motor spins but does not go up. If motor does not spin it is an electrical issue

I believe its electrical.  More often than not it extends without a problem.  But every so often....

I'll check electrical connections.

It's possible there is a dirty spot on the armature in the motor. If the motor stops where the brushes in the motor are aligned with that spot the motor won't run. The next time it happens, instead of turning the knob to fully open the door, just turn it slightly and then turn the headlights off/on again to see if that will make the door open.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

It's possible there is a dirty spot on the armature in the motor. If the motor stops where the brushes in the motor are aligned with that spot the motor won't run. The next time it happens, instead of turning the knob to fully open the door, just turn it slightly and then turn the headlights off/on again to see if that will make the door open.

I will give that a try over the weekend.

2 minutes ago, Padgett said:

If a dirty spot when you turn the knob it should take off on its own.

Correct, but only if the headlight module hasn't timed out. It doesn't let the motor just sit there and spin forever. Otherwise bad rollers in a headlight motor would run the battery down in no time trying to close the doors.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Reporting in: I tried to duplicate the problem on Saturday (10/29) to no avail.  The driver's side headlight mechanism kept operating correctly.  I'll check into it further when I take the Reatta out of storage in April 2023.

• Like 1