reinstalling the accumulator unit

fun car guy

So I had to drill out, tap and install a coil to repair the stripped out threads where the unit bolts to the master but with the two thick rubber washers, one each end, I've been successful in tightening the bolt but the unit still rocks bath and fourth.  Could it be that only the brake line secures it?  Please advise.

Did you get the reply to your email it sent you on 9/11/22? I think it answers your question but if you have more questions feel free to ask..

Hi S_____,

The one bolt that holds the accumulator and pump assembly to the master cylinder doesn't hold them tightly together even when the bolt is tight. The pump assembly should move around some with the bolt tight. Mine does. It's because the vibration from the pump running isn't supposed to transfer to the master cylinder. If it did it would be heard inside the car. The bolt doesn't have to seal anything. There are two lines on the pump. One that carries the fluid from the reservoir and one that carries the pressurized fluid to the master cylinder. Those lines have to be sealed good to prevent leaks. I hope this helps. 

Best regards,
Ronnie

Thanks Ronnie, no I didn't see your previous message on this subject so now I understand why the two thick rubber washers are there and the unit can move a little but is stabilized by the metal brake line.  Apparently I have it right so I'll continue to put everything together and get ready to bleed the system. 

Thanks again!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Taking advantage of the unseasonably warm weather to finish the brakes.  Have successfully purged the air from the master after replacing the valve unit so it should be easy from now on.  Give her a bath, wax, putting on the new cover and tucking her away for another winter.  Dreaming of next spring...... 

• Agree 1