Pinstripe

Top Down

As seen in the accompanying picture, I noticed something strange on the corner of the trunk lid on my silver convertible.   There is a piece of clear coat (?) chipped away from the corner.   What is confusing is that the black pinstripe is flush (smooth) with the exposed surface whereas the unchipped clear coat (?) is raised next to the pinstripe.   In other words, there is a ridge with the pinstripe being on the bottom side.  It appears that the pinstripe was applied first and then the clear coat (?).  All other pinstripes on the car are smooth to the touch without any ridge?  My red coupe doesn't have this ridge on the trunk lid.  So I am curious as to why there is this ridge along the pinstripe on the trunk lid on this car?

DSC06448.JPG

I’m not a detective, but it appears that a respray/repair was done sometime with the pinstripe being the masking line. Perhaps there was  a paint chip on the lower edge of the trunk lid that was repaired.

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, Nailhed66 said:

I’m not a detective, but it appears that a respray/repair was done sometime with the pinstripe being the masking line. Perhaps there was  a paint chip on the lower edge of the trunk lid that was repaired.

I agree. Now that I look closely, the lower pinstripe has been slightly narrowed by paint on top of it. 

• Like 1

As the ridge runs all along the trunk edge and pinstripe, I wonder if this was done at the factory?  The paint is a perfect match and the car was not in an accident.  Has anyone heard of the factory doing something like this to repair a paint defect (scratch or chip) as part of their quality control?

In the Reatta Craft Center individual carts allowed a car to be pulled off line for additional work , so it’s possible a respray was done there.

The only thing that I can't figure out is why the "respray" area is raised relative to the pinstripe.   The thickness of this area is more than just a paint respray.   Would some type of underlayment be applied to the trunk edge before the respray?   And if so, why?