1988 Buick Reatta "Caretaker"

THE CAT

For the past several months, I have been the "caretaker" of a 1988 Reatta that belongs to my 96 year old stepmother. The car has been driving beautifully after we spent time and money to revive it back from an idle period of sitting (just infrequently being started), because she cannot drive anymore. When the car was missing while driving, and often cutting out, though it would restart, it continued this behavior. Her longtime mechanic changed the ignition module. This seemed to clear up the problem as the car once again drove beautifully without cutting out. This is all over a period of maybe 6 months. Currently the car was difficult to start. The starter would grind, grind, but never turn over. Leave the car sitting for an hour or so, come back and it turns over easily like normal. This would happen repeatedly, and the remedy was always just let it sit for a while, then it would start. The mechanic wanted to change the ignition module again. This time he suggested he would look for a AC/Delco ignition module. This worked from the time I picked it up from the shop and drove it around for a few hours. Then just as I was bringing it home, the beep came on and the diagnostic panel displayed: "ENGINE CONTROLS PROBLEM DETECTED ENGINE CONTROLS COMPUTER HAS DETECTED AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM SERVICE CHECK REQUIRED. Though it started and ran, I do not want to continue driving it without solving this issue. I'm at a loss as to what to tell the mechanic to search for and fix. I'm wondering if the diagnostic display has an associated code that would lead a mechanic to where the problem is? This was the case in my VW Beetle and most newer model cars as I understand it. All it would take is a computer read-out which would detail the problem. Does the 1988 Buick Reatta have such a tool? I realize this is my first time posting on this site, but I intend to be actively participating and even contributing financially. if someone can give me any information that would put me on the right track to being able to get this Reatta running normal again, it would be greatly appreciated by me and my stepmother who is more puzzled than I am. Thanks for having this site and for any input you might provide. Sincerely,

THECAT

Bonnie's 1988 Buick Reatta edited.jpg

The Reatta has a diagnostic program in the CRT. If you look at the blue bar on the top of the page you will see "Diagnostics". This section of the site will explain how to go into the great diagnostics and get the codes. Then a different section of the page will tell you what each code means. 

I am betting you are getting a Eo41 is the cam sensor. This is not a real concern at this time as the car defaults to factory setting. 

Usually there are two things that usually fail, the ignition module/coils or the crankshaft sensor. I even had a situation where my crankshaft sensor came loose in the bracket so it would start and run great and then would not start for a time and then magically start and run perfect.

Unless it's fual and your mechanic should do a fuel system test with a fuel pressure gauge. There are fuel system information in the "How to" section also on the top of the page.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Wow Daves89

This is more information than both of us (my 96 year old stepmother) ever knew, though we did consider it could be a fuel problem. I shared your response with her as well. This definitely gives me something to share with the mechanic and I appreciate your quick response. I will continue to report back as I hopefully progress towards having this wonderful car running like it should. Thanks so much!

1 hour ago, THE CAT said:

"ENGINE CONTROLS PROBLEM DETECTED ENGINE CONTROLS COMPUTER HAS DETECTED AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM SERVICE CHECK REQUIRED. Though it started and ran, I do not want to continue driving it without solving this issue. I'm at a loss as to what to tell the mechanic to search for and fix. I'm wondering if the diagnostic display has an associated code that would lead a mechanic to where the problem is?

Welcome to the ROJ forum! 

Dave has given you some great information that should help your mechanic troubleshoot the problem. Keep in mind that fuel pressure problems and most ignition problems won't set a code. If you or your mechanic have questions feel free to ask and we will help if we can.

• Like 1

Thanks Ronnie. Appreciate your additional help about fuel concerns and most ignition problems not having a code. Very helpful.

Also thanks to Padgett for the detailed page on ignition modules, etc. I feel like I'm on the right track and on the way to solving the issues with this 1988 Reatta. The responses from all the ROJ members has been tremendous and timely!

• Like 1