Ignition Relay?

droid5977

Now my 90 vert is doing something new. It started after I replaced the ignition lock cylinder. It starts up fine cold, but after I've been driving awhile and shut it off, it won't start up again. Turn the key nothing. No click, nothing just dead. When I let it sit for about 15 to 20 min. I turn the key and will start right up like nothing was wrong. Is there an ignition relay that might be sticking? And if so where would it be located?

Below is a diagram with the starter circuit highlighted in yellow. The diagram is for an '89 but I think the '90 is probably the same.

When the engine won't start you will have to trace the circuit to find the problem. Chances are the problem is the starter interrupt relay or the VAT/Passkey system but I don't understand how heat or driving the car would effect it.

starter_circuit.jpg.e32249b08884b8fd568b9f18ea729560.jpg

Is the starter interrupt relay the switch that is located on the top side of the steering column?

No. It is up under the dash. I haven't actually seen it myself but I think it is on the left side of the steering column in a hard to access location. Maybe Dave or Kevin will chime in and give you more details about how to access it.

Have you tried moving the shifter around when it won't start? There is a possibility of it being the transaxle position switch. Also try moving the shifter to neutral and see if it will start. But again, I don't see how heat or driving the car would effect it.

starter_interupt_relay.jpg.753b239dfcbc4336ba849dce7b56f53f.jpg

No. It is up under the dash. I haven't actually seen it myself but I think it is on the left side of the steering column in a hard to access location. Maybe Dave or Kevin will chime in and give you more details about how to access it.

Have you tried moving the shifter around when it won't start? There is a possibility of it being the transaxle position switch. Also try moving the shifter to neutral and see if it will start. But again, I don't see how heat or driving the car would effect it.

Yes, I did try moving the shifter  to neutral and back up to park. It still wouldn't start in either position.  Waiting is the only thing that worked. This has happened 3 times now.  :S

When I have a problem like that I carry my volt meter and other troubleshooting tools with me so I can try to find the problem while it won't start.

In this case, my first step would be to unplug the transaxle position switch and check to see if power is getting to it. It isn't too hard to get at. You could also try to energize the starter circuit from the connector to see if the start will work during the no-start conditions. That would tell you if the starter is the problem.

Next would be checking to see if the ignition switch is supplying power to the starter circuit. IF all that checks out all that is left is the starter interrupt relay and the VAT system that picks it up. I would save that for last because it is the hardest to get to and the hardest to troubleshoot.

This sure sounds like a VAT problem. Do you get a message saying something about anti-theft or something like that (can't remember the exact wording).

Usual suspect is broken white wires in the steering column going to the contacts in the key tumbler.

This sure sounds like a VAT problem. Do you get a message saying something about anti-theft or something like that (can't remember the exact wording).

Usual suspect is broken white wires in the steering column going to the contacts in the key tumbler.

I just replaced the ignition lock cylinder (key tumbler), so I don't think it's that. And it's a 90', so I don't have the CRT touchscreen for any messages. I'm going to pull the steering column apart again to see if I got everything back together correctly. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

So.... It turns out the problem was the theft deterrent relay. Swapped it out and haven't had a problem since. Thanks for the diagram Ronnie. It helped a lot. It wasn't extremely hard to get at. I just had to move the hood latch out of the way. 10mm socket w/ long extension to drop the anti-theft module and swap out the relay. Easy, peasy!

I'm happy to hear I was able to help. Thanks for letting us know what you did to fix the problem. It might help someone in the future who have a similar problem.