1990 Reatta want shift into Drive or Overdrive

LarryK

It is LarryK again.  Can anyone out there tell me what to try next.  What actually causes the transmission to shift from 2nd to Drive.  I haven't changed the governor.  Could this be the problem?  I hate to give up on a project but I don't know what to try next.  I would really like to be driving it instead of working on it.  Thanks to anyone with advise.  LarryK

Just a guess, but maybe it’s a failed transmission vacuum modulator and or vacuum leak

What happens when it comes time to shift out of second gear? Does it stay in second, or seem to go into neutral and quit pulling?

• Agree 1

Generally speaking, the vacuum modulator controls shift firmness and the Throttle Valve cable modifies the shift timing. The governor does have an effect on fluid flow based on ground speed and rpm. What speed are we talking about? 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th, which is way up around 50mph. Does shifting manually have any effect?

• Like 2

What do the gear and lockup indicators show in diagnostics? Sometimes the feel is different than reality and at some points, the TCC lockup can actually occur in third gear as well as 4th (overdrive). Since this was an existing problem and you have addressed a couple of items that are the first thing to try, it is likely it will need professional help.😢 You can disconnect and plug the vacuum for the modulator as well as pop off the cable end for the TV cable at the throttle and see what happens. No vacuum to the modulator will increase internal line pressure and no TV cable will cause a shift as early as possible. Just an experiment to see if they are involved at all.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I want to thank each of you that responded.  To:  Nailhead: I replaced the modulator and checked and replaced many vacuum lines.   To: Ronnie:  Yes it stays in 2nd until shifting then to neutral at which time I have to move lever back to 2nd in order to keep going.  To:  2 seater:  I haven't messed with the throttle valve cable.  I can manually shift from 1st to 2nd fine.  Then when I shift to drive when it should shift it goes to neutral as I described to Ronnie.  I will try your other suggestions but it may be a few days.  I just had lower eyelid surgery on both eyes and it will be a few days before I get back into my project.   I will let everyone know what happens when I can.  Thanks again to all of you.  LarryK

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1