MPG?

ColoradoReatta

Gosh, I feel like I'm hogging this site. Please forgive me for all my posts!

I am assuming there is no MPG reporting anywhere in the computer system. Is that correct? Do you all just figure out your MPG the old fashioned way?

True, the non touchscreen cars do not have a mileage readout

Ok Thanks! The touchscreen cars do/did? That's cool!

32 minutes ago, ColoradoReatta said:

Ok Thanks! The touchscreen cars do/did? That's cool!

Yes, the touchscreens have features the later design can only dream about😕

The touchscreen has the mpg but it's not the most accurate from my experience. It takes a good bit of driving before it gets close to accurate. Plus if you disconnect the battery it starts at zero and takes a long time to build back up over a good many miles. I suggest doing it the old fashioned way with your trip odometer and the gallons used. I usually get 24-27 mpg on the highway with my Reattas.

Seems like I remember seeing a service bulletin about the '88 models reading about 2 mpg low. There was a chip upgrade that corrected it.

Are a whole bunch of service bulletins and are good to have. Buick liked to slipstream changes in. 90 4T60 is the best to have.

BTW the touchscream has both Instantaneous and Cumulative (since last reset) MPG. I use a jump box to keep presets when changing a battery.

sb.jpg.21ed691511efe88cb2eb0609c8c5caa8.jpg

Edited by Padgett

Bought my 91 four months ago and drove it home from Florida to PA.  Was immediately surprised that there was no avg fuel economy button to be found, but have also been pleasantly surprised at the excellent fuel milage. I got just a whisper shy of 30 mpg on my drive home from Florida.  Of course I kept it to 65mph .  I continue to be surprised how many people drive at 75 mph or more when they are definitely sacrificing fuel economy.  I guess time is more valuable than money!!  

Unfortunately, when the '90+ Riviera and Reatta came out GM introduced the digital dash.  Diagnostics became less intuitive/in your face/no push button.  I have a '91 and if I keep it under 70mph I can get near 30 mpg. 

My 88 has longer gears than the 91. I consider my 88 to have a digital dash in fact think the 84 'vette was the first. CRT is very versatile but had one major flaw: it is not sunlight readable so 90 'vert needed something different. Suspect also why Allante has LCDs since was always a drop top. Trofeo never was so kept the CRT.

• Like 1

The digital dash for Buick started with the 86 Riviera. The Buick Somerset also had a digital dash but it looks different than the Riviera/Reatta gauge cluster. The Somerset also had a unique radio control that I've not seen in other Buicks of this time period.

1 hour ago, BlakesReatta said:

The Somerset also had a unique radio control that I've not seen in other Buicks of this time period.

Any photos? I like unusual things.

Ronnie, I'll take some when I get home. I have a brochure for the 1986 Buick models. You can find some if you Google 1986 Buick Somerset.

That's crazy! I had a 1986 Buick Somerset! It was similar to the Reatta digital dash! And yes, the radio was a unique "pod"like stack in the center. I loved that car, but it had some reliability issues... 

• Like 1

Notice that the gas gauge is on the left instead of the right? But otherwise it looks very similar to the Reatta/Riviera gauge cluster.

Edited by BlakesReatta

Anyone ever notice the unused "diesel fuel only" logo in the Reatta dash ?

lol yes. I think the 80-85 LeSabres were available as a diesel option but I'm not sure if they ever were past 85. Maybe it was a possibility Buick wanted to keep open if they decided to offer a diesel Riviera or T-type LeSabre.

Occasionally GM screws up big time (Copper Cooled Chevvy) and often it is something simple such as a non-independant rear suspension in early Corvairs and Tempests, not putting enough radiator (unless you had AC) in a Vega so if they got hot, the carbide separated from the cylinder walls, or failing to put a diesel/water separator in an automobile block (Olds 350) converted to diesel...

Is interesting to think of what the effect would have been today. Diesel is much more efficient than gasoline and Mercedes was planning to go 100% diesel by 1990. Then GM destroyed the market in the US.

Edited by Padgett

Love it! That looks just like the Somerset I had!!!!! Brings back memories!