Ground location for center console and radio lights?

Danpatters583

So I've been doing alot of work on my reatta lately and right when I thought I had the electrical fixed, the lights for the gear selection and radio stopped working.... 

What I have done:

1) inspected and taped back up (with self fusing tape) all wire splices under the seats.

2) inspected fuses. All seem to be working. Rest of the interior seems to be working.

3) all the grounding spots under the hood behind the battery and radiator support have been cleaned and Inspected. All appears to be good.

4) replaced negative battery cable battery bolt due to it being stripped. Also added copper crush washer behind it like shown in the how too section.

5) the bcm was replaced with a known good one for testing purposes. 

It seemed like after I replaced the bcm the Radio and gear selection lights started working again for a few days. Not sure if that's related. Haven't looked into the schematics yet.

My questions are as follows:

1) is there a ground near the radio area that I need to check? 

2) does the BCM control those lights as well?

Any help or guidance is much appreciated 

More then likely it is the inverter located in the console that is failing. Jim Finn probably has some available.

3 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

More then likely it is the inverter located in the console that is failing. Jim Finn probably has some available.

Did the 1990 Reatta's have an inverter? Is it also known as the central power unit?

Also update on the problem. Not every time, when I shut the car off and start it back up again the instrument cluster will go blank and these same lights will start working again. The opposite also happens.

Edited by Danpatters583

Looking at the schematics it looks like possibly the central power supply may be a culprit? Any other ideas of things to check?

Quick update. I replaced the dash with a known good unit and so far it's working again with no issues. But radio lights are still out. Gonna look at it again in the next few weeks. 

• Thanks 1