Headlights not going down

Danpatters583

I'm sure this had been talked about but im curious. My headlight motors havent worked since I bought the car. Finally after 3 years of having them wired up I got around to rebuilding the motors. I bought the kit from east coast reattas and rebuilt the rollers and all that. Great kit. Any way, after reinstalling the motors I turned them on and they work..... but only going up. When I turn the lights off they stay up.... any thing I should check? I know my switch isn't in the best shape but I wouldn't think it would cause this. 

26 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Burned out headlight bulb will cause that.

Interesting cuz I put in led head lights.... and now that you mention that led rend to have less resistance so it kinda makes sense.

If you plan on leaving the LED lights in you will need to install a relay harness because as you guessed it not enough resistance.

I don’t think it is less resistance, it is the fact they are diodes and they don’t provide a path to ground, which the headlight module needs to be able to close.

I swapped them back to normal lights for now. I do have a relay harness and all it did was keep my lights on all the time. So I'll have to loom in to it more. But they do close now! I'm very happy thanks for your help as always guys!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Danpatters583 said:

I swapped them back to normal lights for now. I do have a relay harness and all it did was keep my lights on all the time. So I'll have to loom in to it more. But they do close now! I'm very happy thanks for your help as always guys!

I don't know the exact details but I believe there are two types of the headlight relay harnesses. One is negative trip and the other is positive. I am probably describing it incorrectly but I believe ours is positive, where the positive stock headlight wire is used to operate the switch side of the relays. It is also possible a relay is bad, which I have heard in the past. 

I believe you are trying to describe a negative ground versus positive ground set up. But I believe you are correct.

The relays in the harness seems to be working. I'm not sure. I'll have to investigate it further. 

3 hours ago, Danpatters583 said:

I believe you are trying to describe a negative ground versus positive ground set up. But I believe you are correct.

The relays in the harness seems to be working. I'm not sure. I'll have to investigate it further. 

No, it isn't a difference in grounding, it is which side of the relay is switched. Fuel injectors for example have a constant +12v supply but the ground is switched on and off to operate. Good luck😎

Edited by 2seater