Stranded on the side of the road.

Ronnie

25 minutes ago, DAVES89 said:

I left of the shock and supporting hardware as my thoughts were "34 year old shock how good can it be". Besides makes it really easy for serpentine belt replacement.

Thoughts on that?

IMO the shock is so small that it can't really be that effective.  But if while driving etc you feel a little increase in motor vibration, then it actually had some positive affect. 

88 does not have the little shock. All of my 3800s have Delco ignitions, Magnavoxes are good only as spares.

I have left it off on the red car #2 son has and it is won’t be installed as I finish my s/c engine install either. I am sure it did have some purpose or GM wouldn’t have added it, but I am willing to take the chance. Incidentally, my four liter V6 Ford Ranger also has a similar setup. Attached to one side of the engine at the front and straight down to the frame, so maybe a V6 thing?

12 minutes ago, 2seater said:

I am sure it did have some purpose or GM wouldn’t have added it, but I am willing to take the chance

I think it dampens the high frequency harmonics that loosens up the CPS in it's bracket. 🤣

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

Okay I'm done.

Glad to hear it was a relatively easy fix. 

Did the same thing you did Ronnie after you replaced your crank sensor. Ran a number of errands around town, starting the car about 7-8 times and driving about 25-30 miles, never a hiccup. Today is the big test as I will be driving for business about 200 miles and tomorrow about 125 miles [both round trip].

We'll see what happens.

16 minutes ago, DAVES89 said:

Did the same thing you did Ronnie after you replaced your crank sensor. Ran a number of errands around town, starting the car about 7-8 times and driving about 25-30 miles, never a hiccup. Today is the big test as I will be driving for business about 200 miles and tomorrow about 125 miles [both round trip].

We'll see what happens.

You're going to be fine. You are an experienced CPS changer. It was my first time doing it on a Reatta. I'm a pretty good troubleshooter and mechanic, but nothing beats experience to give you confidence in what you are doing.

BTW, I dropped the 20 miles towing off my Hagerty Ins. that just covers my Reatta (saved me $45) and signed up for AAA that covers 100 miles free towing on any vehicle I'm in. Cost me about $50 more per year for AAA but as I get older I think it's worth it. 

Since where I travel most often is 150 miles away, I have had AAA Premier for years. $121/year 200 miles tow and covers any car I am in.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Padgett said:

Since where I travel most often is 150 miles away, I have had AAA Premier for years. $121/year 200 miles tow and covers any car I am in.

The $121 vs $96 I paid for AAA Plus is something I will consider next time I have to renew.

A lot of people don't use AAA the way we would. For example, I have a friend that doesn't know a spark plug from a spare tire so he only has 5 miles towing with AAA Classic. I asked him why and he said he thought he only needed to have his vehicle towed to the nearest mechanic to get it repaired. He said towing it all the way home wouldn't help because he would just have a garage come and get it anyway. I guess he has a point. He said he's had AAA for years for the other benefits, like changing flats and unlocking doors. He has used it for that several times. He also likes the discounts on lodging and such since he does a lot of traveling across the country every year. He likes sitting a car for hours at a time much better than I do. 🙂 

Got home about an hour ago. About 200 miles and numerous key starts and never a hiccup. Think I got it!

• Like 3

Over time, I've traveled to either/both the ROA and/or BCA Nationals by car somewhere in the USA. Have always had AAA just in case...a very good investment IMO.

• Agree 1

My 1990 vert went down on Wednesday this week.  Heard a "pop" like I ran over a water bottle and blew the lid off, then it shut down, I had all my electronics, but no engine or power steering.  I am no mechanic, I can do some basic stuff due to trial and error with my 1st 1989 Coupe I owned as my 1st car.  I have no idea what happened, I'm thinking its probably the serpentine belt.  Thank goodness for AAA and my mom.  I was 7 miles from home and my mom came to pick my son and I up and took us to get our truck as we waited for the tow truck to arrive.  The tow truck took my car to a good friends shop 75+ miles away, so now I'm waiting on the details about what happened.  Made me sad watching it being towed off!  😞

20220622_181142.jpg

20220622_192807.jpg

Edited by lilnut13

Welcome to the forum! Sad to hear that. I hope the problem is something simple and cheap to fix. Let us know what happened.

On 6/24/2022 at 10:18 AM, Ronnie said:

Welcome to the forum! Sad to hear that. I hope the problem is something simple and cheap to fix. Let us know what happened.

Thank you!  According to my mechanic the car has not thrown any codes and he has been starting it daily and letting it run for an hour.  He has had no issues with it.  So I have no idea what caused it.  It didn't sound like a backfire to me (I have heard those and they are much louder then what I experienced.)  I am hoping he will bring the car back to me on Sunday....*Fingers Crossed*

CND (could not duplicate) are the worst problems to troubleshoot. Whey I carry an ICM with coils and CPS plus a toolkit with me.

Murphy's corollary: "Anything you carry a spare won't break."

46 minutes ago, Padgett said:

CND (could not duplicate) are the worst problems to troubleshoot. Whey I carry an ICM with coils and CPS plus a toolkit with me.

Murphy's corollary: "Anything you carry a spare won't break."

Added to that is I also carry an alternator, Mass Air Flow Sensor, fuses, a couple of relays, and two serpentine belts [one the correct size and the other to bypass the A/C].

2 hours ago, Padgett said:

Gee and I used to be paid to be paranoid.

When one is out 100 miles from home running appointments, you have to have parts. If you can find a repair shop, the next thing is no parts in stock. Everything but the crank sensor can be replaced by me in less then 20 minutes by the side of the road. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

When one is out 100 miles from home running appointments, you have to have parts. If you can find a repair shop, the next thing is no parts in stock. Everything but the crank sensor can be replaced by me in less then 20 minutes by the side of the road. 

I wish I had the ability to do that.  I am just not that mechanically inclined.