Making modern drivetrain

Like I said I loved the carb version of the 231(3.8)  funnest car I have owed, I'm a realistic and what to keep this car my daughter forever car. Just trying to show her where there is a will there is a way. Not trying to make waves!!

Make your modifications. I'm actually envious as I always wanted a supercharged Reatta and almost went that way, but I no longer have the great need for speed I used to. I also don't relish the thought of having to buy premium gas to feed the supercharger.

When I replaced the engine in the Red I had the replacement gone through with a different cam and higher compression pistons [with all the input from 2seater] I am now pushing 200 HP and running regular gas. I know 2 seater and Jon have more HP but I'm happy with the little extra "push" I have ...

Edited by DAVES89

With VVT and redlines pushing 7k I am more interested in torque figures. 200hp at 4k has more torque than 200hp at 5k. My 200hp @ 4400 Allante has more torque low down than a 290 hp Northstar and a Merc SLK320 is 3100 lbs and 215hp @ 5700 rpm & quick mainly because it is light. Of course my big toy has 450 old school hp so do not need to be offensive on the street.

Apples and kumquats.

Edited by Padgett

• 4 weeks later...

We talked to a couple of frame manufacturers, sounds like  20000 for a frame? It's not out price of new car??? Make a rear wheel or all wheel modern car for 60000??? And be what we want it to be???? Sounds like a plan to me... don't mean to offend....

Edited by Sam car

I was thinking Subaru WRX Sti drivetrain or you could go old school redneck and put the Reatta body on a CJ5 chassis powered by a Buick 215 aluminum V8. Just saying…

18 minutes ago, Nailhed66 said:

I was thinking Subaru WRX Sti drivetrain or you could go old school redneck and put the Reatta body on a CJ5 chassis powered by a Buick 215 aluminum V8. Just saying…

Just saying the cost of new vehicles why not have what you want??

I also think a Mazda Miata or Toyota GR86 would be a good modern alternative. Like the Reatta, both are attractively styled and moderately powered.

I still thinking equinox or Traverse??? I would love and butcher it to a rear wheel drive ls machine.... but my wife and daughter(real car owner) might not allow. Lol!!

But end of the the day I really believe in factory, but if no one will support?? I down to make dreams come true...

Sorry Nailhed66 I don't like opposed engines, but it your favorite why not??? Low profile  my fav would be a ls..

Edited by Sam car

I was kinda thinking a 2000 ish 3.8 supercharged Monte Carlo as a donor car, sub frames and powertrain?? I need to check measurement.. Just wondering if anyone has looked into it??

On 7/2/2022 at 2:18 PM, Padgett said:

and all the electronics ?

I'm daydreaming, and I think us as a group can overcome. That's why I love this forum good, bad and ugly. We can get it done.. l

Has been done before, for boosted 3800 use maps from a 94 Park Avenue Ultra.

• 4 weeks later...

My son had an early "70s Ford Maverick that someone shoehorned in a 351 cid Ceveland.  I test drove the car and ran it a little frisky. Tried to stop it from about 70 mph and it took "a quarter mile" (my exaggeration) to stop the car. I got out of the car and told my son to sell it right away! Point is, changing out the engine in some auto not equally modified in other areas, e.g. brakes/suspension, could be disastrous. Obviously, the Maverick needed an upgrade in braking capability that the frankenstein did not have. Of course, the Reatta with 4 wheel disc brakes could stand to have a more powerful engine than OEM.