Making modern drivetrain

I was wondering if anyone looked into grafting a modern drive train into a Reatta???? Something like a Chevy Traverse or something smaller??? I do not want to offend purest,  but I think a all wheel drive would be fun!!

42 minutes ago, Sam car said:

I do not want to offend purest,  but I think a all wheel drive would be fun!!

The most modern drivetrain I can think of was from a Cadillac with the Northstar V8. I would like to have the V6 motor and six speed transmission from my Equinox in mine.  It doesn't have much torque but likes to turn the RPMs, and that makes it a lot of fun to drive if you put your foot in it.

I'm new to Reatta's and it my teenage car and she refers to her car is her forever car, I'm more of a muscle car guy, but I will do my best to keep her dream alive.... Just daydreaming 😀😀

I had a 78 Sunbird with a SBC. Great autocross car.

Modern drive train: L67 with a Getrag or F40 has been done, LS4 is even more modern ish.

It doesn't take a big motor to have fun. If I had to pick a car I owned that I had the most fun in it would be the '59 bug eyed Austin Healey Sprite I owned. Only a 948cc 4 cylinder engine. It was like driving a big gocart. The one in the photo below isn't the one I owned but it's just like it. I wouldn't even come close to fitting into one of those now. 🙂 

Ron had a 1959 bugeye- butterscotch.jpg

Since buying this car for my teenager, it really takes me back and I get to enjoy sharing with her!!@

This is why we can keep Reatta's on the road. Thank you for your kind words!!! But I still will try to keep her car oem until I can't. When there is a will there is a way!! As they say!!! Blue coller family  here.

I had a chevette with a buick 215 v8 that I put together.  Lots of fun, that car but a little squirrely.

• Like 1

And we had a Vauxhall Victor  with a SBC. After a few day a front wheel was permanently off the ground. 215 Buick was a Formula 1 champion, sold around the world. And wound up in a Rover.  Turbo 215 and a Muncie was great in a Cutlass. Where there is a will there's a lawyer.

I always though a turbocharged all aluminum  4-cylinder of about 300 hp would be the best of all worlds. It would get some weight off the nose. relocate the battery and make the weight balance much better than stock, plus give a bit more go power. My personal opinion is a good multi speed automatic rather than a stick of any kind. Partly it is a bias from years driving a stick in traffic which was less than ideal plus a good modern auto is generally quicker than a manuaI no matter the amount of gears. I  am older but overall aside from being able to hold a gear with a manual, a good auto will kick butt. Different horses for different courses. My opinion only

• Like 1

Excepot sound. A six is much better and with a good turbo you do no need a muffler. Agree anout a modern OD automagic but lockup acts like a gear and reduces drag significantly.

Lotsa math required but a modern gasoline engine on 87 PON is most efficient geared to be at or under 2000 rpm at 70 mph. My CTS has 6+lockup but turns near 2400 rpm at 70 & mpg is not as good as my Grand Cherokee.

Not meaning to argue but are you serious?  If you want a Vette or some other car, please don't destroy an original, the Reatta was never meant to be a hot rod, but an older gentleman's car for comfort and style.  As a purest, my reaction to your question is...UGH!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fun car guy said:

Not meaning to argue but are you serious?  If you want a Vette or some other car, please don't destroy an original, the Reatta was never meant to be a hot rod, but an older gentleman's car for comfort and style.  As a purest, my reaction to your question is...UGH!

But if you can't get part??? Didn't mean to offend but I don't want others to get discouraged by lack of parts. I can't thank east coast reatta for all the help with our car, and yes I believe in oem engineering...

30 minutes ago, Sam car said:

But if you can't get part??? Didn't mean to offend but I don't want others to get discouraged by lack of parts. I can't thank east coast reatta for all the help with our car, and yes I believe in oem engineering...

And please block all  my post, I really don't want anybody to be discouraged by lack of parts. You most of workerd at more dealership than I have. 

If want a sporty open car with lotsa power, Vipers are under $50k right now. Will spend more "improving" a Reatta. If want something more practical, 93 Allantes (DOHC-V8) are under $10k but make sure the head studs have been replaced and it doesn't leak.

Most of the neat conversions I've seen involved a professional shop, a rainy day, a motor on one side and a vehicle missing a drivetrain on the other. Or cubic money .

19 hours ago, Sam car said:

And please block all  my post, I really don't want anybody to be discouraged by lack of parts. You most of worked at more dealership than I have. 

Actually, I've always done maintenance on the family cars but never on a Reatta until I bought mine about 2 years ago, always bought from private sellers.  Parts are never a problem as there are plenty of parts cars as well as new from East Coast, you'll just pay more for reproduction and OEM stock.

On 5/30/2022 at 1:50 PM, Padgett said:

If want a sporty open car with lotsa power, Vipers are under $50k right now. Will spend more "improving" a Reatta. If want something more practical, 93 Allantes (DOHC-V8) are under $10k but make sure the head studs have been replaced and it doesn't leak.

Most of the neat conversions I've seen involved a professional shop, a rainy day, a motor on one side and a vehicle missing a drivetrain on the other. Or cubic money .

Juat saying i love how the reatta is put together and want it to say on the road !!!

Then keep the 3800, is one of the most reliable there is. If must have more, an L67 has been done. Many times. But then the trams is the weak spot.

• Agree 1