Options for replacing rear struts needed.

lukehemstreet

59 minutes ago, sarookha said:

Will you need my old struts as donors, if I go this way?

I am not trying to horn in, but I could use the old struts as material to do the  cartridge conversion. I already have the cartridges but my present struts are the Riviera air style. PM me if you desire to. No rush😊

6 hours ago, sarookha said:

Will you need my old struts as donors, if I go this way?

For now, I have put on pause the idea of the weld adapter and sleeve nut as there was substantial up-front investment to order a large enough batch to make the price attractive.  As long as there are 1990 Regal struts available that can be modified, I feel it is the best current option other than the brand new (albeit pricey) units that ECRP is sourcing.

Hang onto your old strut cores though, they will be valuable again someday soon.

*Edit* I did not see 2seater's response when I posted.  By all means, if someone can use the old struts, go for it!  I doubt I will get into the business of rehabilitating old strut bodies.

Edited by alchemist
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, alchemist said:

Strut day...

14727.thumb.jpeg.e1caac12fece6d188a8f6b38f9c588ea.jpeg

Half way to keeping four lucky Reattas on the road.

20230527_133258.thumb.jpg.2ce48ceafecdf88b03c723a95a6a430d.jpg

• Like 2

I just got four done myself. I am so sold on this solution I just sold two Riviera rear air struts to a guy "over there".

I still have 6 front struts and 6 rear struts in the parts bin.

I'll never worry about selling any of my Reatta parts...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DAVES89 said:

I just got four done myself. I am so sold on this solution I just sold two Riviera rear air struts to a guy "over there".

Interesting that you sold the Riviera air struts.  I have a set of them as well, and may do just the same, keeping a set of the modified Regal struts as my eventual replacement.

Edited by alchemist

On 5/27/2023 at 4:01 PM, DAVES89 said:

DAVES89 sent me a photo of his rear struts. They almost look like they came from the factory.

Daves rear struts.jpg

On 6/2/2023 at 11:45 AM, Ronnie said:

DAVES89 sent me a photo of his rear struts. They almost look like they came from the factory.

Looks good!  For those who are interested, I have four sets for sale early next week.  Two are somewhat spoken for, let me know if you are interested.  $275 per set plus $50 shipping.  See below for the initial samples of my offering.

20230525_181840.jpg

Edited by alchemist
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Daves rear struts.jpg

Thanks Ronnie! I also have 4 each of the strut mounts as well. Just didn't display them in the picture. I am not interested in doing this for others as there is already another doing this as a service. Just want to show what mine looked like...

This is probably the best, and most important, topic that has been started on this forum. We had a serious problem to solve with the rear struts being discontinued and no off-the-self alternatives could be found. We kicked around a lot of ideas and then came up with some good solutions to the problem. Solving problems and helping each other out is what the ROJ forum is all about. Thanks to everyone who participated!

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

Four pairs of converted 1990 Regal struts, ready for shipment.  Includes one pair of struts and two sway bar mount adapters.  All of these are Monroe Sensa-Trac or OEM Spectrum. which I wholly believe are the same base strut as the part numbers stamped on the bodies are all the same.

$325 per pair, includes USPS Priority Shipping.  Paypal or Venmo accepted.  Can ship out as early as Monday 6/5.  Message me to purchase or for additional details or questions.

20230603_145635.jpg

Edited by alchemist

On 5/10/2023 at 1:52 PM, Ronnie said:

ECRP, as an established company that supplies Reatta parts, may have enough clout and buying power to convince Monroe to make another run of rear struts if a large enough quantity are ordered. I think Marck is sincere in saying he is trying to get them in stock. I expect they will be expensive. Most things that are in short supply are. People with nice, low mileage, Reattas will be happy to get them at any price. The rest of us with average drivers will continue down the path we are on of modifying a strut that will fit at a lesser cost. It's always good to have options. 

Most of us here on the ROJ forum have a common goal, trying to figure out ways to keep our Reattas on the road. I'm proud of what we have accomplished so far on finding a solution to the discontinued rear struts. Although I don't think Marck is a member of this forum, my hat's off to him for taking the initiative to try to make new rear struts available. I don't think he is partnering with someone here to make a reproduction strut. If he is it would really look bad on him, his company, and the person on this forum he is partnering with...

They had enough clout to get some brake accumulators made. They state that the brake accumulators are reproduction to the original specs, which also probably means they are likely better than old stock that's been sitting on the shelf for 30 years. 

Maybe they are getting Monroe to make them some new stock.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, alchemist said:

Four pairs of converted 1990 Regal struts, ready for shipment.  Includes one pair of struts and two sway bar mount adapters.  All of these are Monroe Sensa-Trac or OEM Spectrum. which I wholly believe are the same base shock as the part numbers stamped on the bodies are all the same.

$325 per pair, includes USPS Priority Shipping.  Paypal or Venmo accepted.  Can ship out as early as Monday 6/5.  Message me to purchase or for additional details or questions.

20230603_145635.jpg

Man those look great! I think I will be in the market for some here soon.

• 2 weeks later...

I am interested in the rear strut mounts. Are they nos originals? How much shipped to 79106?

5 hours ago, 1989reatta79106 said:

I am interested in the rear strut mounts. Are they nos originals? How much shipped to 79106?

The Reatta 71966 (Monroe) and Regal 71831 (Monroe) are the same base strut with the same engineering parameters (same case, OD, length, stroke and valving).  The difference is how the strut holds the knuckle into position.  The Reatta uses a pinch bolt setup to hold the base of the strut in position, whereas the Regal uses a more traditional two-bolt bracket setup.  If the brackets are removed from a Regal strut, the pinch bolt 'dimple' added and a bolt on sway bar adapter used, they are a direct replacement.

ECRP (East Coast Reatta Parts) is offering new units, made by Monroe, for $500 per pair, plus shipping.  The modified versions I am offering are $325 including shipping.  Others have done this same modification and it has worked.  Just offering the modification for those who do not have the means to do it themselves.

• Thanks 2

Just went to Rock Auto to check on Monroe #71966 rear struts and to my surprise they were there. Just ordered two from them at $61.79 each. I wonder if it was because of East Coast Reatta having Monroe make a batch that there were extras made. I now have too many rear struts, but then again I can always sell them...

Edited by DAVES89

1 hour ago, ship said:

I only have 1 pair of fronts in inventory...maybe I should order another front pair so that I end up with 2 pair of each...you never know when the opportunity arises to purchase another Reatta!

I have 3 pair of fronts for 2 Reattas. Extra strut mounts as well for both front and rear.

• Like 1

As much as I will take advantage of the new opportunity, I still feel a debt of gratitude for those that have stepped up with alternatives. Including ECRP. This new development has pretty much knee capped the development of the alternatives. 

I ordered my set from alchemist a couple days ago. I have no regrets supporting him for the effort he put in to making a solution for everyone. But this new development helps others with not as much funds. 

we shall see how long this rock auto supply of struts lasts. My bet is they won’t last a month past when ECRP ships theirs. 

• Thanks 1