Options for replacing rear struts needed.

lukehemstreet

53 minutes ago, Padgett said:

And the throughbolt below the sway bar ?

Not yet…

It may not be necessary, but I like the idea of “belts & suspenders”….

Still working on the final plan for that…. @ this point, I am leaning towards a cam alignment bolt or something similar…

Edited by DPS.01

Then I am confused. What is holding the shock in place at the bottom in the control arm ? Another bracket ?

No sir.  Not another bracket. 

The lower strut body is still inserted into the knuckle, and the pinch bolt is still used to tighten the knuckle against the strut body. 

The pinch bolt fits in the are where the lower mount is welded to the body. 

D0814484-7511-4133-8164-6B83CC8BE6CE.jpeg.adf20ff1c96a69349b8a5768634e6417.jpegPinch Bolt Locations; Allante (L), OEM (R). 

06693E1F-8D37-496D-8D6E-D458251A2861.thumb.jpeg.52ad8b26ca030b85b1be7223b69b3d42.jpeg

Strut inserted into knuckle.  Due to the 1993 Allante design, the clamping area is ~ 1/2 of the Reatta OEM clamping area.  This is why I am considering the bottom bolt to prevent upward movement of the strut out of the knuckle. 

4B17FBFC-D383-4409-8D08-99686DD1E800.thumb.jpeg.4c930f45092f089183f70632584b5c52.jpeg

This is the lower portion of the Allante strut extending below the bottom of the knuckle.  The bushing has been removed, the lower mount flattened and filed so that it was 54 mm or less to fit into the knuckle opening.  

The idea is that the cam bolt will be inserted thru the opening and wedged under the knuckle housing. 

The sway bar connection point had to be relocated higher on the strut with the clamp, as it does not drop downwards lower on the knuckle. 

Edited by DPS.01
  • Thanks 1

Was hoping that would work. The 87-92 Allante uses the same shock as a Reatta but has no rear sway bar. In that case does it need the clamp for anything ?

Would appreciate a parts list and sources. Am assuming it needs an extender.

Thank you.

3 hours ago, Padgett said:

Was hoping that would work. The 87-92 Allante uses the same shock as a Reatta but has no rear sway bar. In that case does it need the clamp for anything ?

Would appreciate a parts list and sources. Am assuming it needs an extender.

3 hours ago, Padgett said:

Thank you.

The Allante would not need the extra clamp.  In this application, it is only used as an attachment point for the sway bar. 

I will put together a parts list and post once the installation is finalized. 

Yes, the upper portion of the piston is extended using an 18-8 stainless steel coupler, and 12.9 grade threaded rod, ~100mm long. 

Edited by DPS.01

2 hours ago, Padgett said:

BTW has anyone looked into the Westar CK-7611. Seems pricy.

westarCK7611.jpg.f8addb9101a4e0087dc20da53dded1ad.jpg

I actually called these guys and emailed them as well several months ago. 

From what I was told then,  they are not available.

If you got to the link I posted they claim to be in stock but also are over $400 for a pair.

BTW RA no longer lists the Cardone.

We seem to be in the "donut hole" of restoration when the stock replacements have gone away (lack of demand) and have yet to be repoped.

Am still finding quite a bit on eBay but prices are increasing. Having a spare parts car is becoming more attractive.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Padgett said:

If you got to the link I posted they claim to be in stock but also are over $400 for a pair.

We seem to be in the "donut hole" of restoration when the stock replacements have gone away (lack of demand) and have yet to be repoped.

Am still finding quite a bit on eBay but prices are increasing. Having a spare parts car is becoming more attractive.

I'm driving my parts car [the Black '88]...

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

I'm driving my parts car [the Black '88]...

I think a lot of us are driving out parts cars. We just don't know when we will have to part them out. The way replacement parts are getting so hard to find it may not be too long. lol

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Padgett said:

I noticed they don't have them listed for the 93 (which is the correct application) but last time I looked they were listed for the 92 (which is not a correct application but that's how I ended up thinking they may be adaptable).

5 hours ago, DPS.01 said:

The Allante would not need the extra clamp.  In this application, it is only used as an attachment point for the sway bar. 

Yes, the upper portion of the piston is extended using an 18-8 stainless steel coupler, and 12.9 grade threaded rod, ~100mm long. 

Since my Allante doesn't have a sway bar my plan for the clamp was added reinforcement to keep the shock from moving in the control arm,  And, as additional protection against movement I was going to fab two pieces of metal attached to the clamp pinch bolt and extended down to the shocks lower mount.  Picture two pieces of metal attached to each end of the pinch bolt with two more holes for a bolt going through the lower shock mount/bushing.

• Thanks 1

On 11/19/2022 at 5:45 PM, DPS.01 said:

Just finished up on my 1993 Allante strut retrofit for the Reatta w/ sway bar attachment clamp. 

My 11 year old daughter and I took it on its maiden voyage… no squeaking / rattling, or other odd sounds.  Very stiff ride, but I actually like it.

Overall, I am extremely pleased with the results so far (10 miles)… the new rear struts did make it obvious that the front struts are overdue for replacement. 

92D55105-3553-4EC9-887B-779F747E1511.thumb.jpeg.3360c260666232657e8246a2454c5869.jpeg6C54CEDE-78A3-4548-A629-C816559A86E6.thumb.jpeg.93e627e8a6585ec6470af3af69084ef7.jpeg

Photos taken with car on the ground; after ~10 mile run in…

I'm glad the installation is a success.  I managed a Buick store from 1988 to 1996.  Unless you opted for the f41 suspension options the standard ride was always a little soft and somewhat bouncy on most of the cars.  I have a 79 Eldorado that I put manually adjustable air shocks on the rear.  I run 45 lbs in them to stiffen up the ride.  Cornering improved as did highway stability at higher speeds.  Not sure what tire pressure you run but some experimenting with that could change the ride characteristics some.  Thanks for taking this to the end.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, ErnieR said:

as additional protection against movement I was going to fab two pieces of metal attached to the clamp pinch bolt

This is what I want to try as extra protection against movement of the strut in the knuckle.  Eccentric’s would be placed on either side of the lower strut mount and wedged under the knuckle with the bolt going thru the opening that extends thru the bottom of the knuckle. 

Plan is to try it out this week. 
I figure it is worth a shot since I have the bolts for my 2003 Tahoe. 

image.thumb.jpg.723389f0c75f19b548d0f1f5e730b5fd.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, DPS.01 said:

This is what I want to try as extra protection against movement of the strut in the knuckle.  Eccentric’s would be placed on either side of the lower strut mount and wedged under the knuckle with the bolt going thru the opening that extends thru the bottom of the knuckle. 

Plan is to try it out this week. 
I figure it is worth a shot since I have the bolts for my 2003 Tahoe. 

image.thumb.jpg.723389f0c75f19b548d0f1f5e730b5fd.jpg

When I read your posts yesterday I started looking at Cam Bolts.  I didn't think of that at all.  I think it's a cleaner and simpler solution.  BTW, I could use those resistor bypass wires that came with the Cardones if you want to part with them.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, ErnieR said:

BTW, I could use those resistor bypass wires that came with the Cardones if you want to part with them.

Sent you a PM on this…

• Like 1

The resistor wires are for the SDD and RSS shocks in an Allante.

The Westar CK-7611 appears the same as for a 87-92 Allante or all Reattas.

• 2 weeks later...

Struts can be rebuilt by specialty restoration houses.  See https://www.gazshocks.com/gaz-classic-rebuild-service/ as an example.  They can thread your strut's top tube, so that ride height is adjustable, and can even upgrade your struts to adjustable damping.  I'd appreciate the damping, in particular.  My Reatta rides like, well, a Buick...  A little more tautness and responsiveness in the suspension would make me happy.

I'm sure this service isn't cheap, but since this thread is about where to find non-existent rear struts, maybe it's time to take a different approach.

• Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2022 at 3:13 PM, DPS.01 said:

Do we have a finalized parts list [hopefully with sources] for this application?

Also 2seater and I met for lunch and discussed this. I have a new Rear strut, New rear Riv strut as well as the Allante rear struts and clamps. They all look dramatically different. The Allante strut has a smaller diameter rod then the standard Reatta strut rod and the Riv strut looks way beefier because of the air bag.

Dave is right about the diameter of the rod on the Reatta strut vs the Allante one. I know that was mentioned several pages back, something like 25mm vs 20mm, but it really stands out when laid side by side. It may not matter, but I would think a substantially larger diameter would provide a larger bearing surface where it comes through the upper portion of the reservoir. That, coupled with the larger rod, would seem to indicate it is designed to carry a greater side load? Not trying to be Debbie Downer, just an observation. I could be all wet as I would think it would be similar to the coilover conversions, which must be smaller diameter out of necessity.

I hope the experiment is still going well but this seems to have died??

• Agree 1