Options for replacing rear struts needed.

lukehemstreet

1 hour ago, Philbo said:

IDK $400 for used struts is steep.  No telling how worn they are. 

I agree, taking a chance.  Current struts are completely gone, and these do hold air.

Suspect are enough desperate novices who look on anything under a grand as a bargain. Am comfortably retired because I watch Benjamins.

I'm wishing now that I had kept my old struts that I took off. They were still working just fine but they felt a little soft. I had the chance to get Monroe Sensa-tracs at a good deal so I replaced them. You can't keep everything when you have limited space but I would have made room if I had known they would be discontinued so soon. 

• Agree 1

55 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

would have made room if I had known they would be discontinued so soon

…hindsight is at least 20/20…

been caught up in that too many times to count. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Padgett said:

Suspect are enough desperate novices who look on anything under a grand as a bargain. Am comfortably retired because I watch Benjamins.

Nether novice (50+ year in the car business repairing, selling, and parts) nor desperate.  Value is in the eye of the beholder and "Ben" and I are in fine shape.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, ErnieR said:

Value is in the eye of the beholder

I agree. There are a number of considerations that come into play when making a purchase. In this case, I think the main questions are, "will the prices go even higher", and "how long will good used ones be available". I think right now a lot of people are searching for used struts to squirrel away in case they need them in the future. That is going to drive the prices up.  Replacing bad struts with less worn ones is going to become the new normal if we don't find a suitable replacement that we can buy new. I hope everyone will continue down the road of finding a suitable replacement strut we can make work that is readily available instead of discussing the price of used ones. This has been a long and beneficial thread. I hope we don't give up on finding a replacement strut now because used ones are starting to pop up here and there.

• Agree 1

Suppose if the Reatta was still my daily driver I might feel different but my CTS coupe has that duty now. Did spend $400 for a NavTool when bought but cell phone screens were much smaller. Is really interesting how many generations of infotainment I've seen from the novel Pontiac Sportable and 45 players to now.

Might feel different but bought the Cardones because were cheap (on clearence) and to experiment with, mainly for Allantes which have the same shock but no sway bar. Have spares for Reatta also bought on clearance...

ps if used 66s are going for $400, wonder what a NIB pair are worth ?

Edited by Padgett

I purchased the 71801 air shocks $375 plus tax came to a little over $400.  I have seen them new for $312 plus shipping and tax, each, claimed to be in stock.  There are sets of front and rear advertised for $999.  The seller I purchased from just sold a pair of 71966 for $400.  Lasted 4 days on ebay. 

My "older" cars must ride and drive like they are new or better.  To most people my Allante would need nothing but I know it needs the suspension done to satisfy me.

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

I hope everyone will continue down the road of finding a suitable replacement strut we can make work that is readily available

Definitely still proceeding with the 1993 Cardone Allante option, followed by the Koni insert cartridge for the front struts of the 1996 Regal using the completely worn out OEM struts. 

Received shipment of materials to extend the Cardone upper mounts, and hope to make progress on that phase while waiting for sway bar mounts. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DPS.01 said:

Definitely still proceeding with the 1993 Cardone Allante option, followed by the Koni insert cartridge for the front struts of the 1996 Regal using the completely worn out OEM struts. 

Received shipment of materials to extend the Cardone upper mounts, and hope to make progress on that phase while waiting for sway bar mounts. 

Much appreciated.

• Thanks 1

Update: 10.29.2022

Installed 1993 Allante Cardone shock on the LR of a 1989 Reatta. 

Did not connect the sway bar; waiting for clamps. 

Ride Height Before:

71EB84D9-1F12-43CE-8C61-7936CBDAA41B.thumb.jpeg.606ab304880c536e1a69419cd1d72f19.jpegRide Height After:

9B34D3BC-169F-4AC2-89B3-20F67CCE6997.thumb.jpeg.e607c4bd7b257c7b152d815e19d5b9ec.jpeg

The OEM removed strut had zero rebound. The vehicle was riding using the spring only, so initial ride height may be lower than normal. 

I have not had a chance to complete the passenger side or road test yet.

Measurements taken after installation from top of shock body to bottom of coupler used to extend the upper threaded portion of the piston:

Full Extension:  6.5”

Ride Height:  4.25”

Full Compression:  1.75”

This means that there is 2.25” of upward travel before the shock tops out and 2.50” of downward travel befor the shock bottoms out. 

Additional work to do, but this looks promising. 

Before installed; mock-up:

6AF4DA6A-C916-4D21-B5D7-7ACC2599588C.thumb.jpeg.b78de3113542c0d8848c69300f401845.jpeg

Installed:

AFB28A27-1EDD-4755-9E58-C85191D339A8.thumb.jpeg.3a10d2ef4f3497e2dae2e9c0a2dd7c9d.jpeg

On the ground:

image.thumb.jpg.c001ad20e38dd01a2ab89621304b9ae6.jpg

Edited by DPS.01

Now when the rear of the car is bounced, there is little to no rebound effect… now that’s a win. 

The fact that you were able to mount them up is really good. That clearance looks like a lot to me. I wouldn't think the gas in the struts would hold the rear of the car up that much with stock struts but maybe it does. I measured the distance from the tire to the lip on the finder like you did and I only got about 2-1/4". But, my car has 225/60-16 tires on it so that might not be a good comparison. Do you have the stock tires and wheels on your Reatta?

• Thanks 1

No on both accounts. 
Wheels were a chained to a tree side of the road special. 

Tires are 225/60-15image.thumb.jpg.f44e310f1bc584191876314f2d4b2b47.jpg

From ground to fender lip. 
0C41AD77-A762-447B-B88E-3FB2D658358B.thumb.jpeg.e2f27286ff3162783854d817c86c7ab3.jpeg

on my 1984 Skyhawk, the gas shocks on the rear raised it ~1.5” or so when compared to hydraulic OEM units. 

I don’t think the rear of the Reatta is that heavy with sprung weight, but that’s more of a guess.  Gas tank is pretty much empty as well in my photos. 

Edited by DPS.01

Mine measures 28-1/4" from the floor to the lip of the fender, almost what yours does. My trunk is full. Two toolboxes, suitcase, chairs and the tank is almost full. So the weight might make quite a bit of difference. A little difference in measurements doesn't matter as long as the struts work well when you get both of them on.

trunk contents.jpg

• Agree 1

Nice work. Looks Good!  I've noticed that on every shock or strut installation I've done when I first lower the car it always seems to sit a little higher, but settles after a test drive.  Also, the weak side may be a little lower causing the side you measured to be a little higher.  Meaningless observations if the ride turns out OK then we have proof of concept.    

Edited by ErnieR
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1