Options for replacing rear struts needed.

lukehemstreet

Here is what I was looking at doing.

The marked circle was to be drilled for the shock mount.

IMG_1150.JPG

IMG_1151.JPG

IMG_1152.JPG

IMG_1153.JPG

IMG_1259.JPG

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jon L said:

Here is what I was looking at doing.

The marked circle was to be drilled for the shock mount.

Keep the photos coming as you progress. Will you be using a standard shock absorber with an eye on one end and a threaded rod on the other?

• Agree 1

I was hoping to use coil overs, but there isn't enough room for the coils.

I suppose I will end up with standard shocks.

Yes, eye and rod.

This is as far as I have gotten last winter.

This winter I plan on cleaning the rear suspension and coating it with silver Por 15.

And also working on the shocks.

• Like 2

Jon, That is a great idea and one that could work easily. The up side is that the plates can be made ahead of time and when the car goes in the shop for strut replacement replacement can be done easier.

• Like 1

Does anyone have a dead strut. I need a second one to make the pair. I plan on doing the modification this winter when the car is

in storage. Let me know if you have one and waht you want for it.

Thanks.

I don't but "HandmedownReatta" over on the AACA Reatta website does and would offer it to you for a solution.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, lukehemstreet said:

I made a video on Youtube on how I replaced my rear shocks. 

Post it here.

• Agree 1

59 minutes ago, Padgett said:

Definitely need to close this thread, is far from the title.

I don't understand why. The title is about shocks and the discussion is about shocks. Is there something I missed that would be a reason to close it? Maybe a title change is needed to better reflect the discussion?

Other than 6 pages and none "found" to buy. Now if want to rename "build your own struts" that would be appropriate for the current posts.

• Agree 1

• Ronnie changed the title to Options for replacing rear struts needed.

I changed the title to one that leaves the door open to any kind of discussion about rear struts. We need to find a solution to the struts being no longer available and a good way to do that is by talking about it. Maybe an idea will get posted that we haven't thought of yet. I thought lukehemstreet would post his video but not happened so far.

On 10/1/2022 at 12:03 AM, Ronnie said:

I thought lukehemstreet would post his video but not happened so far. 

Not sure, but I think this is the video in question: 

I wanted to do a similar approach but maybe find another part that you don't have quite so much to cut off.

From the Monroe chart I share d before, the reatta uses the B8 style. Was hoping to sift through and see if there is a B3 or maybe a B6 or B7 exists with similar dimensions.

Screenshot_20221004-010926_Pdf_Viewer_Plus.thumb.png.bf32fbb96014c370d77e693971dffc3d.png

For example, here is a B4 style that is very similar specs to the Reatta part number.  Only thing is it does not give a housing diameter or the diameter of the shaft

Reatta part

Screenshot_20221004-013443_Bromite.thumb.png.d6d4f45b8773f7b2b9a9419f063356a0.png

Potential substitute (with some grinding)

Screenshot_20221004-013451_Bromite.thumb.png.c97df9f451917d0086be19afb1853c3d.png

What said potential substitute looks like

BCZC_801525_P04_FRO__ra_p.jpg.8f9c5177adeea5c1c601dad0504b892b.jpg

I would like to try to get the data from the PDF into a spreadsheet so it could be sorted by dimensions and housing type. Maybe narrow down to a couple options and try to confirm the other dimensions somehow.

So I was able to pull the data from the Monroe catalogue into excel and then filtered the results down by dimensions that were similar to the Reatta Part (in yellow)
Struts.thumb.png.43d2d6716deb5db7ce420b203bc98387.png

There were quite a few that were close in length, compressed lenght, Extended length, and Travel, but only these several that were of the type that is more similar to the Reatta rear strutts (B3, B4, B6, B7). Basically these are the ones that would not need as much cutting/modification as the one in the youtube video (at least on paper). 

The one in red borders is where I plan to start. Partially because it is the least expensive.  Here is a screenshot of what it looks like.  I have no idea if the dimensions (apart from the ones from the table) are remotely close. I plan to go by a parts store that has it in stock to take some measurements.
1810296738_Screenshot2022-10-05010228.jpg.f402fb35780c5ba123e85fde1daa2c55.jpg

Good work. That strut looks very promising. Since it fits so many vehicles is should be available for a long time. I hope the body diameter is correct.

There is also a rear for a Riviera/Toronado with air lifts that fits. Part number is above somewhere.

• Agree 1