Options for replacing rear struts needed.

lukehemstreet

Anyone have a old blown strut that I could have to experiment with, I would greatly appreciate. I will pay for shipping and share my final strut and part numbers either way.

Edited by Sam car

• 2 weeks later...

I did follow-up with the question, if I give them dimensions if the could make some custom struts for us. Stay turn

Screenshot_20220524-153351_Gmail.jpg

Edited by Sam car
Additional reply from Koni.

This strut issue [in my opinion both front and back] is getting pretty serious. I just bought the last two Moog front strut mounts from Rock Auto on close out. A few years ago one had a great choice of front and rear struts and strut mounts. Now as we know the rear struts have been discontinued and the selection of front struts and mounts and rear mounts are limited.

I believe if anyone is planning on keeping their Reatta for any length of time would to buy what they need or anticipate needing now before these parts are gone forever. 

I have an extra set of front/rear struts and mounts for each of my cars and will not entertain selling them at any cost. Same for a number of years ago when I found stock mufflers, and bought what they had.

These cars are all at least 33 years old and were limited production. Parts are drying up fast and the day is quickly approaching where people will buy another Reatta just for the part they need for their car, and the unfortunate thing is that the "daily Driver" low cost Reatta [suitable for parts] is also disappearing. I still drive one Reatta [or another] for about 20,000 miles a year and have tried to build a good supply of back up parts. I encourage you to do the same. 

Let me rant some more. Most of us paid less then $10,000 for our Reattas [I paid way less then that for each of mine]. Late model used cars are $20,000 and more. What's wrong with spending $500 - $1000.00 on parts knowing that you can sell them later when you get out of the Reatta craze? Makes sense to me. 

Edited by DAVES89
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

GM changed part numbers for anything including paint gloss. Since nearly everything GM have a FWD model, I would be amazed if something else would not fit (posibbly with an application of a die grinder).

I agree with Dave...I have an extra set of both front and rear struts/shocks and mounts that I will never sell.  I've always kept an inventory in my cellar of various Reatta/Riviera parts over the years.  I once owned 2 Reattas (now down to 1) and 2 Rivieras (now down to 0) at the same time all with many many interchangeable parts.

Edited by ship

It looks like koni 8611 1258race strut comes closest to factory and is adjustable,  we just need make adapter make it fit tight in bore of old strut and use there racing insert gland nut. The next month I will try to fabricate a adapter. I think we can do the same for the front struts. I think this group can keep these car on the road for along time!!!🙂🙂 

Sorry wrong part number should be 1259race. The strut body can't be more than 13 inches long.

Edited by Sam car
Wrong part number

• 2 weeks later...

I'm about to confess something, so don't hate me.... Last week Rock Auto sent me an email re: Reatta closeouts.  I do check the closeouts often.  Listed was a Monroe front strut and rear shock, one each remaining that would fit my '91.  I jumped on and purchased both of them.  They came yesterday via Fedex.  The strut and shock went into my inventory (aka stash)!

PS: I'm not a hoarder in my own mind...just sayin' 

• Like 1

Good for you ship! I have a mixed pair, one air strut and one standard strut. If yours are mixed like mine maybe we could swap.

Im getting close to having a adapter made., just wondering how many people need rear struts ???? Sorry I have not looked into front struts, but i will.

20 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

Good for you ship! I have a mixed pair, one air strut and one standard strut. If yours are mixed like mine maybe we could swap.

The strut is a std one, otherwise I would gladly have swapped with you.

• 2 weeks later...

Found a lock nut that should be weldable to strut housing.  I could not find a m51x1.5 nut . So I honed to size I needed and tapped treads. 

20220616_030905.jpg

On 6/4/2022 at 8:58 AM, ship said:

I'm about to confess something, so don't hate me.... Last week Rock Auto sent me an email re: Reatta closeouts.  I do check the closeouts often.  Listed was a Monroe front strut and rear shock, one each remaining that would fit my '91.  I jumped on and purchased both of them.  They came yesterday via Fedex.  The strut and shock went into my inventory (aka stash)!

PS: I'm not a hoarder in my own mind...just sayin' 

When you replace a rear strut can I buy your old struts???

Edited by Sam car
Clarification

14 hours ago, Sam car said:

When you replace a rear strut can I buy your old struts???

I had the suspenson replaced last Summer.  So, it will be many many years before I replace any of it (if ever...annual mileage is usually less than a thousand ).  Sorry about that. 

• Like 1

"Im getting close to having a adapter made" - what kind of adapter ? Near as I can tell Allantes need the same thing. Maybe floating bulls also.

2 hours ago, Padgett said:

"Im getting close to having a adapter made" - what kind of adapter ? Near as I can tell Allantes need the same thing. Maybe floating bulls also.

Whittet-higgin cnb-10 and using monroe 73267 for strut inserts. My lathe isn't big enough so I used a hone. I know my first strut looks homemade but it ride so nice, this one I will look factory and have replaceable inserts. 

On 6/5/2022 at 1:33 AM, Sam car said:

Im getting close to having a adapter made., just wondering how many people need rear struts ???? Sorry I have not looked into front struts, but i will.

Ill take a pair, but post a picture and a description of what I am getting and what I have to do/have to complete the strut

I only had what was on the car and didn't want to disappoint my 16 year old from driving the car but didn't want it wrecked...but that's what is great, people sharing info!!

Edited by Sam car

On 6/17/2022 at 6:38 PM, DAVES89 said:

Ill take a pair, but post a picture and a description of what I am getting and what I have to do/have to complete the strut

Update, I screwed up adapter,  I over bored nut, I finally found local machinist willing to help, he doesn't like the lock nut I choose,  so I ordered what he recommended,(coming mid July ish?)and I ordered 2 more strut from monroe (one of them flat, most have been old stock??) I promise I will make video of final product that looks factory.  Sorry for being over optimism, but once figure out it should be rather easy,  my homemade strut is holding up very well. If you can find a local machinist that is willing to listen I would use. My machinist said about of hour to set up and cut threads for 2 nuts.