Options for replacing rear struts needed.

lukehemstreet

1 hour ago, Padgett said:

Most here are looking for new struts. Until recently they were available from Monroe.

ps . Riviera and Toronado rear air strut is 71801

I tried to find Monroe 71801 and it is showing out of stock at all the normal places.

Guess there has been a feeding frenzy. Have seen the same thread on multiple forums.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Well I'm confused. The 1989-1991 uses the same front strut, but the strut mounts are different. Is that correct? I know the 1988 uses a different strut then the other years so I get it that there should be a different mount. Anyone know?

The front strut mounts for the 1988 /1989 are the same; and the 1990 / 1991 are the same. (2 different websites)…. FWIW. 

The data below is literally from the 86 - 93 Buick E Parts and Illustration Catalog:

Data from the 1988 - 1989 Front Suspension Page 6-14 & 6-15:

Front Strut (1988) (E97) = 22047983

Front Strut (1989) (E97) = 22047966

Strut Mount (1988) (1989) = 1636276

Data from the 1990 - 1991 E Front Suspension Page 6-16 & 6-17:

Front Strut (E57 6AD, 7AD) = 22064167

Front Strut (6LP, 7LP) = 22064169

Strut Mount (E97) (E57 1990 FE1) (E57 1991 6AD, 7AD) = 17999048

Strut Mount (E57 1990 FE3) (E57 1991 6LP, 7LP) = 17999499

That is all that is listed.  The data is somewhat confusing to me in that I always was under the impression that the Reatta (E97) had sport suspension (FE3) for all years.  The data above seems to allude any real definite specifics to my previous impressions.  For what it's worth and hope it helps.

Edited by ship
  • Like 1

Koni sells cut a strut option that you use original housing,  (nice you tube demo) but I can't find a option to buy .. so I used monroe insert struts and kinda same concept. 

Looks like a very good solution. 
Can you share the part number of the Monroe insert that you used?

Thanks. 

• Like 1

I used monroe 73267, you probably see if you local machinist can but together due to making adapter for the stem of the strut, I think I should have called around and try again for the Koni option. But so far the rides so much better. Good luck!!

Sure looks like it would work, just have to come up with the sway bar bracket. But nothing a machinist can't make. Good work!

39 minutes ago, Sam car said:

I used monroe 73267, you probably see if you local machinist can but together due to making adapter for the stem of the strut, I think I should have called around and try again for the Koni option. But so far the rides so much better. Good luck!!

Could you post a photo of yours?

• Agree 1

Thanks for the information. 
When you reference the adapter for the stem of the strut, is that because the drop in cartridge has a smaller diameter piston rod?

25 minutes ago, Sam car said:

20220504_204305.jpg

Nice work. 
Photo is worth a thousand words…

Sam, did you start out with cutting the bottom part off the Reatta strut like in Jon's photo below, OR did you cut off the top and add the pipe fitting to that? I can't really tell from your photo.

coilover-1.JPG

Yes I'm no proud of it but it works airbag it make custom airbag struts for our car but it's over 1500.00 a strut. And I used strut inserts  not struts. I tried a couple of different strut and cut off spring perce. In total its been a ride to get to this point 2 months and this my teenager car so trying to make safe as possible. Good luck to all

50 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Sam, did you start out with cutting the bottom part off the Reatta strut like in Jon's photo below, OR did you cut off the top and add the pipe fitting to that? I can't really tell from your photo.

coilover-1.JPG

Cut the top , on YouTube there is a good video on koni strut inserts. Yes it's a 2 inch pipe welded on the housing. I think since monroe will not support our cars Koni might be our best option..I emailed them last week but no response yet.

Just now, Sam car said:

Cut the top , on YouTube there is a good video on koni strut inserts. Yes it's a 2 inch pipe welded on the housing. I think since monroe will not support our cars Koni might be our best option..I emailed them last week but no response yet.

Thanks I'll check out the video. Yours may not look like a factory job but if it works that's better than anything the rest of us have came up with so far. You showed us it could be done. Thanks.

Is this the video in question?

This looks pretty hopeful actually

The solution in the video looks promising. If anyone does this, take lots of photos as you go along so we can make a tutorial on the how to do it and i will post it here on ROJ

Part of the reason some at the AACF didn't care for me was that I thought putting dysfunctional parts on a show car because they were "original" was hilarious (and usually rong). Thing is I went to GMI and was close to GM production in the 70s. Plus was "associated" with Pontiac until its demise. Am a bit fanatical. For instance no production GM car left the line with an R59 battery (today my cars get AGMs).

Koni idea sounds great.