Options for replacing rear struts needed.

lukehemstreet

I know everyone has been bewildered as to where to find NEW rear struts for the Reatta. I found them for sale. Global Industries .com has them. Part#71966. They’re Monroe struts. And I also need to replace my front struts and I just bought Monroe struts of there because Rock Auto has a plethora of front struts. 

• Like 4

Did you order them and have they arrived?  Very interested if they do have them.

They are out of stock.  I chatted with them online, and they said they would be back in stock mid-July.  Well, since Monroe has confirmed they will not be making them again, I am not certain what will happen.

image.thumb.png.18c7e813f9110c5fb233eb1b640e55c1.png

Edited by alchemist

Yep, a few of us have been through this exact scenario. The parts advertised as in stock, order them and a short time later they will “discover” they don’t actually have any. 

Is the sway bar bracket welded to the shock tube?  I know people who could easily make the bracket, the questions would be if a shock with all the other amenities (save the bracket) are available.  Oh yeah, and then how to attach the bracket to the tube...

NOOOOO! my day has been ruined. Just got an email saying they are out of stock. sorry guys

39 minutes ago, alchemist said:

Is the sway bar bracket welded to the shock tube? 

Yes, but it's not actually a shock. It is a strut that controls the camber of the knuckle (spindle?) as it travels up and down so finding a standard shock to replace it probably won't work. Maybe some type of adapter could be made to use a shock if the only problem was bolting the sway bar to it.

Suspect some one needs to either figure out how to replace the capsule (if it has one) or modify another strut. Allante uses the same strut so is some competition.

3 minutes ago, Padgett said:

Suspect some one needs to either figure out how to replace the capsule (if it has one) or modify another strut. Allante uses the same strut so is some competition.

To figure that out someone with and old one needs to cut it apart and see what's inside. Probably a pipe cutter would do the best job of keeping everything intact as much as possible.

Maybe a Monroe 78101 ?

ps both O'Reilly and Advance claim to have the 71966.

2 hours ago, Padgett said:

Maybe a Monroe 78101 ?

ps both O'Reilly and Advance claim to have the 71966.

Negative, just tried to order a set through both places, out of stock.

4 hours ago, Ronnie said:

To figure that out someone with and old one needs to cut it apart and see what's inside. Probably a pipe cutter would do the best job of keeping everything intact as much as possible.

If anyone can get their hands on an old one for a little metallurgical autopsy, I am happy to determine the properties of the bracket (grade of steel, hardness and mechanical properties) along with the attachment method.  Happy to help...

6 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Yes, but it's not actually a shock. It is a strut that controls the camber of the knuckle (spindle?) as it travels up and down so finding a standard shock to replace it probably won't work. Maybe some type of adapter could be made to use a shock if the only problem was bolting the sway bar to it.

Correct, strut so it is structural, but also has dampening capabilities.  If the same strut can be found (stroke, dampening power, dimensions and thread) might be able to make something that works, of course that is unless the bracket is welded to the tube...  Not sure how that would be handled.

18 hours ago, alchemist said:

Correct, strut so it is structural, but also has dampening capabilities.  If the same strut can be found (stroke, dampening power, dimensions and thread) might be able to make something that works, of course that is unless the bracket is welded to the tube...  Not sure how that would be handled.

Be careful with the welding part. If the strut is pressurized you probably do not want to weld on it as it may explode. They probably do the welding before pressurizing them.

2 hours ago, Philbo said:

Be careful with the welding part. If the strut is pressurized you probably do not want to weld on it as it may explode. They probably do the welding before pressurizing them.

Exactly.  It would almost be easier (it seems) to attach the sway bat to the lower control arm if some sort of bracket could be fashioned to do that.  Then perhaps a standard strut without the bracket could be used, assuming such an animal exists.

Thankfully my 1990 has only 25k miles on it as has never seen winter, much less rain.  Hopefully they are good for another 25,000 miles or until I sell the car, whichever comes first.

Edited by alchemist

Hard to believe but the day is coming where a car part are two that is obsolete may sideline a Reatta from being driven...

Any idea what the life  expectancy of the rear struts is ?  Is age a factor or more so mileage.

This may seem naive but has anyone called East Coast Reatta?  If no go there must be many donors in auto salvage yards.

• Agree 1

Most here are looking for new struts. Until recently they were available from Monroe.

ps . Riviera and Toronado rear air strut is 71801

• Like 1