HELP. ABS relay stuck, can't remove

DaRealTeufel

So I feel useless right now. I have the yellow abs light on right now on my 88 and wanted to check the abs relay first on the firewall but cannot figure out how to remove it for the life of me. I don't want to break anything but I used some force to try to remove. I pushed off the clip and guessing it comes straight up but it won't bulge. Any help would be very nice how to remove it. Thanks.

20211201_223025.jpg.05f8128569198f42ac206192cdf8776f.jpg

Ended up snapping the clip off but I ripped it out. Looks like the plastic melted or something. That's why the relay was stuck. All three of them have black stuff on the harness below. What is this stuff? Is it safe to clean it up a little and put new relays on or should I replace the harness?

20220326_125129.jpg

20220326_125126.jpg

I don't know what that could be. Maybe a dielectric grease that was applied decades ago and has solidified? I would try to find a solvent that would clean it and see how it turns out. You might end up replacing but I would save that as a last resort.

• Thanks 1

Relays are common. I'd poibably rinse with 91% alcohol or non-residue tuner cleaner and see what happens.

Edited by Padgett
  • Thanks 1