90 Reatta antitheft issue?

El-Grumpo

Hello, all! I'm glad I found this site/forum when I did.

I have a 1990 Buick Reatta that I'm fixing up/restoring. Recently its developed an issue where, upon opening the door(s) the antitheft system will activate (sometimes over hard bumps too, but rarely.) The horn currently doesn't work so it's just the flashers that go off, and the car is drivable even while this happens. It tends to stop after a few minutes (5-10, maybe?)

Any clue what the issue might be, or how to stop it? I don't mind if I can just disable the whole thing for now. I've got the big 1990 service manual, which has this diagram:

Problem starting - No Crank, security light steady - Buick Reatta  Discussion Forum - Reatta Owners Journal Forums

Welcome to the forum! 

41 minutes ago, El-Grumpo said:

Recently its developed an issue where, upon opening the door(s) the antitheft system will activate (sometimes over hard bumps too, but rarely.) The horn currently doesn't work so it's just the flashers that go off, and the car is drivable even while this happens. It tends to stop after a few minutes (5-10, maybe?)

That's odd. Normally if the theft deterrent system activates the engine won't start or run. There is a starter interrupt relay controlled by the theft deterrent system that prevents the starter from turning and the fuel is shut off. I wonder of someone has already bypassed that relay? 

El-Grumpo, what you are describing is the Theft Deterrent System, not the PASS Key System.  The Theft Deterrent Module, way up under the left-hand side of the dash, has a 20amp in-line fuse right next to it.  Just pull the fuse to disable the system...no fuss no muss.  The PASS Key System (Personal Automotive Security System) detects proper resistance between the ignition key chip and the starter enable relay....no proper resistance no start.

"no proper resistance no start. " unless someone already played with the little white wires.

At this point I really have no idea what you have, just need to ring it out.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't getting notified of these responses, sorry!

Thanks for the advice everyone. This is actually my first project car; I have some auto tech education under my belt but not much practice since it's always been more of a hobby/interest. I'm hoping to work on it this week, so this definitely gives me some leads. Would be nice if it was just a fuse! But yes I always unlock with the key (I have a box of fobs, actually, but I'm in no hurry to mess with them haha.)

And my Reatta for anyone wondering:

IMG_20220301_112645.jpg

• Like 5

8 hours ago, El-Grumpo said:

... yes I always unlock with the key (I have a box of fobs, actually, but I'm in no hurry to mess with them haha.)

Having a box of key fobs is worth their weight in gold!  To program 2 key fobs to your Reatta just follow the instructions on Ronnie's online Reatta Owners Journal entitled "Remote Transmitter Programming Instructions".

I find the Cadillac fobs easier to use (buttons not all round) but then never got around to adding to my 88 (had several 90s). Real GM oddity: most cars had remote entry available in 1989. The Allante never got it.

Is this something I have to remove any dash panels on? It looks like I might have to remove some lower panels, it's hard to tell from any diagrams.

If you're talking about the Theft Deterrent fuse, removing the left lower panel next to the steering column will allow better access.  The fuse is quite aways up there.  Push the driver's seat all the way back, crawl under with a flashlight, and apply a fuse puller tweezer.  

• Like 1