Idle

jon L

Help. Same problem after trying everything I could think of. Car starts quickly, Idles down to 700-800 rpms, Idles for

whatever time, could be five minutes or 2 minutes, or 10 minutes, then it dies like you shut it off. Starts right up with no hesitation.  will repeat soon.  It likes to die as you are sitting at a stop light right before the light changes. In gear or out of gear it will still die.  It throws NO codes.

Anyone please.

Ign mod new and coils new. How would the Crank sensor cause this problem?

Have seen a failing TPS or wiring do the same thing. Can monitor reading, .38-.42v at idle.

I can only relate my experience with an apparently flakey crank sensor from many years ago as no it was not typical: while driving down the road there were a few momentary bobbles to the way the engine ran. It wasn’t enough to see speed or gauge changes, just a sense that it missed a few beats. After that experience, it would occasionally not start, but then it would, like nothing was wrong. It would idle and rev smoothly but something silly like closing the hood would stop the engine just like the key was turned off. It repeated this until I finally had it flatbedded home and eventually replaced the crank sensor after fruitlessly looking for other causes. 

26 minutes ago, jon L said:

Did you replace the magnet also?

I think you are thinking about the Camshaft Position Sensor. It has a magnet that triggers it. The Crankshaft Position Sensor has no magnet.. It is the sensor mounted on the engine block behind the harmonic balancer.

• Thanks 1

Ronnie, I thought I replied to you e-mail but It didn't send I guess.

Anyway, You are correct and I apologize. I have been confused about this problem for quite a while

so I was not thinking when I sent that reply.

That is one area that I had not considered. That will be the next thing to check. Hopefully that is the problem.

Thanks for all the replies. I will get right on it.

• Like 1

Thank You, ThankYou, Thank You, Ronnie & 2seater.

I found it, Now mind you I put this on in about 2010 and it just

started to bug me about three years ago.

Take a look at this. Can you see it?

Now do you think I should replace it or bend the pin back and use it?

IMG_1237.JPG

IMG_1239.JPG

• Like 1

I can see the bent pin. Glad you found it. I might just go ahead and replace it. Not that expensive and it would keep you from having to go back in later if the pin is loose inside the connector.

It looks like it has been removed so if a replacement is readily available, a new one makes sense. The reason I qualify the statement is the general lack of parts at the FLAPS, although that looks like the late model one piece crank sensor for the s/c conversion you did. I could have purchased that style locally but Rock Auto was almost $20 cheaper including shipping.

The reason I chose it in the first place is because it requires no adjustment.

I ordered a new one from Rock Auto today.

Thanks again guys.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, jon L said:

The reason I chose it in the first place is because it requires no adjustment.

I ordered a new one from Rock Auto today.

Thanks again guys.

I hope yours arrives more quickly than mine. My crank sensor started out in Chicago on Monday and somehow was shipped to Massachusetts where they must have discovered that it was supposed to go 200 miles north rather than 900 miles east. It was supposed to be here yesterday, so when I opened the package delivered by USPS yesterday, I found the six new exhaust valves that started out in Texas on Tuesday?? I don't believe Rock Auto is the issue, it is the Postal Service. This isn't the first time I have received items that have traveled all over the country before arriving at my home, but in their defense, I do almost always get the part. To be fair, anything that travels through the UPS hub in NE Illinois has been a consistent problem child for years, so it isn't peculiar to only one delivery agent. End of mini rant that you didn't need. Best of luck🙂

• Agree 1

Try this one: ordered some lights from California. Shipped via USPS. Spent two weeks in Hawaii before heading to Florida.

• Haha 2

I had one USPS package that shipped from FL and made it all the way to CT before going to NY, then DL, then NJ, back to CT before arriving in MA.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

All fixed. And it solved the dying problem.

And for all you interested, it also fixed my cruise control.

It used to work once, as long as you didn't put on the brake.

But now it works as it should. I didn't know it was wired in with the 

crankshaft sensor.