Rear Shocks

DPS.01

The local Buick dealer I go to [and Kendall works for]scoured the GM warehouses around the country for rear struts for me. He entered the original number, then all the superceding ones and came up with 3 rear struts [1 in Washington and two in South Carolina] which I bought. I then found a "new" strut at a salvage yard about 80 miles from me that was in the trunk of a Reatta and never used. My brother just picked it up and yes it has never been used or installed.

I paid a premium price [full GM price] for the 3 GM struts, but only $50.00 for the "used" one so I feel a bit better.

That brings me up to the 4 I need for the Red and the 'vert [the winter Black got done about a month ago.

There are two remaining struts in a GM warehouse in South Carolina, but they are damaged but might be salvageable. You would have to go to your local dealer and see if they will get them for you. I couldn't get pictures, so have no idea what they look like.

Good luck.

Edited by DAVES89
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Philbo said:

Did you see that on Facebook? I believe I saw it there and was another unfortunate dead end. It would be great if available. 

I thought I was a pretty good hunter, but you guys are doing great at finding other sources. Maybe try looking under Riviera as well. Rivs had the "air ride" and there were more ride. 

Seeing the prices getting posted makes me feel a bit better about what I paid from the dealer...

8 hours ago, 2seater said:

Did you see that on Facebook? I believe I saw it there and was another unfortunate dead end. It would be great if available. 

I am not on facebook anymore. The Reatta group there was one of the very few things I miss about it.

• Like 1

There was speculation in regards to my recent find and purchase of rear struts through my local Buick dealer. I confirmed with Kendall that yes I do have the proper rear struts, however they are Riviera struts as they have a nipple on each one for an air line. That gives me three of these struts and one Monroe rear strut for a Reatta [without the nipple]. 

I believe I am all set for rear struts. [and 4 each front struts and strut mounts 4 each front and 4 each back].

99.9% of the 7th gen Rivieras came equipped with the FE1 Touring suspension.  The Reattas came equipped with the FE3 Sport suspension.  The Riviera suspension is a little smother, not as tight/harsh as the Reatta. 

DPS.01.                                         I am currently facing the same issue with my "89", I took it to a dealer and they were able to locate the fronts, but nothing for the rears. I did some searching and this is what I came up with www.chris alston's chassisworks.com. I haven't reached out to them yet, as I haven't completed the front ones yet. I understand they will make you what ever you need including original OEM it might be worth looking into.

@Captnsuprise

thank you. 
I will put a call into them as well. 
I also have tried a couple air bag / air strut folks out there without much success to date… but the search continues. 

I did come up with one OEM rear strut from 2004 NIB.  That gets me 1/2 way there.