Rear Shocks

DPS.01

It looks like the position and travel of the internal piston of the strut would be needed. If the material of the strut body is thick enough a groove could be ground in the side, if not, forming a little trough for the bolt wouldn't be terribly difficult as long as the piston doesn't travel over the area. What would seem to be critical to me is the outside diameter for clamping in the socket of the rear knuckle. The height of where it clamps into the knuckle appears to have some flexibility in it also. This strut works as a guide and movement dampener, and doesn't actually have weight bearing forces on it. The alignment tab is really only for locating the position of the ear the anti sway bar bolts to, the strut itself has no rotational requirement, so the sway bar mount could have the alignment tab. The attachment for the sway bar fastening could be a clamp on or modified to attach to the knuckle itself. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

If a strut could be found that met all specifications other than the sway bar bracket, I think it might be pretty easy to attach the sway bar to the lower control arm with a Heim Joint instead fabricating a bracket to add to the body of the strut, much in the same fashion my buddy did on the front of his Shelby Cobra replica recently. Attaching the bar to the lower control arm would effectively do the same thing as attaching the sway bar to the strut. I've attached a photo he sent me to give an idea how that might be done on the Reatta.

sway bar-2.JPG

• Like 1

Excuse me if I'm showing my ignorance but wouldn't the whole assembly from a Riviera be the same? 

4 hours ago, fun car guy said:

Excuse me if I'm showing my ignorance but wouldn't the whole assembly from a Riviera be the same? 

No, the Riviera came with leveling control rear shocks. There would have to be modifications.

5 hours ago, fun car guy said:

Good idea. Maybe also try Allante, Tornado, Seville?

1.  Unfortunately, they are obsolete as well.

**non air assist strut for Reatta:

Monroe 71966 
** air assist strut for cars equipped: Monroe 71801

there may be other part numbers, but those are the ones found so far.

2.  Received the B8 body style strut today. It is smaller in all critical measurements and is a no-go.  Will be returning those. 

Would be nice to have a spec sheet to see what might work (as Ronnie stated), while DAVES89 waits for Monroe engineering to get back to him. 

Well, there's always the junk......er, recycling yard!

Problem with a salvage yard is how long the car has been out in the yard. Installed in a car that doesn't move and is up on blocks means the struts are somewhat extended which means rust can form. Not really a good alternative...

On another front, I called my local Buick dealer and got a real helpful guy. He kept looking at all the superceded numbers and found 4 in South Carolina. I bought them all. I have two more Reattas that will need struts as I am a daily driver guy with my Reattas.

As a matter of fact I drove the 'vert from Wisconsin to Texas and to date have put over 2300 miles.

Edited by DAVES89
  • Like 1

As I see it, the first critical dimension is the outside diameter, but that doesn't appear anywhere I have looked, making it tough to narrow the focus. The other dimensions, length and stroke etc. are generally listed, at least they were on the KYB site. So far I cannot find the project to convert to a cartridge style strut.

I have a new set of rear struts in my basement, I think they are the OESpectra's. I can take measurements if it will help.

The struts I have are the Monroe OE Spectra's. The base appears to be 2" in diameter, and 4" in long where it inserts into the knuckle.

• Thanks 1

If you haven't already, you should check with Jim Finn.  his email is listed on the main page of this site.  I've always had good luck with the parts I've purchased from him for my '89.

I also found them in stock here for $7 less. I went ahead and ordered 2 because I will need to replace mine sooner than later.  There were some other GM parts sites that were labeled as "discontinued" so there probably aren't many of new stock still out there.  https://www.gmpartsonline.net/oem-parts/gm-shock-absorber-19166882?c=Zz1yZWFyLXN1c3BlbnNpb24mcz1yZWFyLXN1c3BlbnNpb24mbD0xMCZuPUFzc2VtYmxpZXMgUGFnZSZhPWJ1aWNrJm89cmVhdHRhJnk9MTk5MCZ0PWJhc2UmZT0zLThsLXY2LWdhcw%3D%3D

• Thanks 1

I had another thought.  I wonder if Monroe would do a run of them if there was enough interest and could order a large enough quantity? I have heard of other companies doing similar things. Maybe we could even band with some of the parts suppliers on here or maybe a place like east coast reatta to get a big enough order.  Might be something to ask. If not Monroe, maybe another company would be willing.

16 minutes ago, Philbo said:

I went ahead and ordered 2 because I will need to replace mine sooner than later. 

It will be interesting to see if your order gets canceled due to them being out of stock. Keep us posted.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, Ronnie said:

It will be interesting to see if your order gets canceled due to them being out of stock. Keep us posted.

You called it @Ronnie they cancelled the order because no inventory :(

• Thanks 1

I too wish you luck. 
I had an order cancellation from GMPartsDirect.com two days after I placed the order. 

I am working an angle for another possible solution, but it’s going to take some time.