What is that?

Posti

Although I have gotten a lot of looks and comments on the Reatta, yesterday I had two different twenty-something car enthusiasts ask me "What is that?"  I explained about the Reatta and showed them each the car.  Neither had ever seen a Reatta before or even heard of it.  They were amazed by the touchscreen controls on the CRT and by the car's age (it was older than either one of them).  The experiences reminded of another reason why I like to drive antique cars - it is a great history lesson for the newer generations.  Not everyone drove Caprices and K-cars.  We had some really amazing vehicles 25+ years ago that can still hold their own with the current crop.

I get that response all the time. The first thing people ask is "What is that?" It sort of makes me feel awkward that people don't know it's a Buick. When I show them inside the car they are amazed at the technology of that time. They can't believe it came with a touch screen in '88. I've had two people ask me, "Is that a Ferrari ?" Once at a gas station and one guy blew his horn and had me pull over on the side of the road so he could ask me that. Needless to say it brings a big smile to my face to hear that....

Mixed bag. I do get strange looks at stop lights and when pulling into parking lots if people are standing around and see it I also get an occasional things up from another motorist, and then I get a few who will come up and ask about it. About 30% of these inquiries (guessing anyway) are familiar with the Reatta. As you'd guess these are mostly men in the 40+ age group, though a few younger have correctly identified it, and have to assume they had prior knowledge of the model. The convertible gets the most attention, unsurprisingly. The fact that is a drop top and is cop-magnet red certainly draws more attention than the white coupes do, but even they get more than a few passing glances.

I have had one gentleman ask (of my 91 coupe) if it was a Fiat (no idea how he came up with that) and one teenager-ish kid that hangs out a lot at the house next to my Mom's place ask if it was a Ferrari when I was over there once. I'm always tempted to be a smart ass and ask if they saw the giant letters in the tail lamp that say "B U I C K". But, usually I'm gracious about it as I appreciate interest and enjoy familiarizing people with the background and merits of these fine cars.

I went to a local AACA meeting about a week ago. Being a new member I introduced myself and told the group about the car that I owned. Most of them had never heard of it.

After the meeting a guy came up to me and told me he had owned a Reatta for a short time. He said him and  his wife called it a "Regretta". He said it was a low mileage car but they regretted buying it because they couldn't find parts for it or anyone willing to work on it. I guess it goes to show not everyone loves the Buick Reatta like we do. :)

Eh, sounds like he wasn't trying very hard. In the nearly 10 years I've been involved with Reattae, I have had no issue finding parts. Yes, many things are not readily available locally and have to be ordered in, and some things are only available used. However, with multiple vendor sources selling used parts and eBay always having the more commonly needed trim, glass and electronics (even if as a last resort) parts are not so difficult to get. And this has been the case since I got in in 2007. Jim Finn and eBay were offering stuff before that even, and probably others I am not personally aware of.

As for finding someone to work on these cars, ok I can see that being somewhat difficult. I do all my own work (and stunts too) but for those who are disinclined to DIY, a good trustworthy and knowledgeable mechanic is not so easy to come by. And for an unusual car like the Reatta it is more challenging still. Depsite that, it can be broke unless you live in the middle of no where or a very small town without a selection of service shops.

The electronics seem to be the most challenging aspect for most it seems. I will grant that these cars have a devilishly complex electronics system for the era in which they were made. I don't find them that difficult to troubleshoot, but then I have background in electronics and am a quick study on new systems. Not everyone has a natural ability for thinking like the machine, or even just using logic and process of elimination to figure a problem out. Yet, the FSM supplies trouble shooting trees, that when followed will most often find the problem and lead to a solution. There is the periodic odd case; these usually stem from somebody else's previous bogus work which screws up the works and makes troubleshooting more difficult.

Kevin

I know what you mean Kevin. I don't really worry about parts but it does hang around in the back of my mind that at some point the part I need might not be available. The biggest problem is trying to predict what part I might need in the future. Having a parts car sitting around is the best solution but that's not allowed where I live.

Right now we have a good network for parts with you, Dave, Jim and others stocking up on them. I hope that continues. I was concerned that Jim Finn might get out of the Reatta parts business. I had lunch with him about a week ago and he assured me that he had no plans to get out of the business of selling Reatta parts. He was towing another one home when we met. I believe he said that was Reatta number 76 that he had owned. That's a lot of Reattas for one person to own!

We do need more reproduction parts, for example vert weather stripping, but the economics of having them made can't be justified on a car that was produced in such low numbers.

I'm a pretty good mechanic. I don't fear mechanical failures so much but I do fear the embarrassment that it can cause if you're stranded in the middle of the street. As I get older I don't enjoy doing the work as much as I use to but at least I can give someone the guidance they need to fix my car if it breaks down.

I always have my FSM and a tool kit in my car.  I will soon be adding a padded hard shell case to my trunk - filled with parts that are likely to be needed in the event I get stranded like an ICM, coils, MAF sensor, etc.  and a basic set of instruments to troubleshoot a problem. What good does it do to have a fuel pressure gauge, spark tester and a multi-meter at home when you are sitting on the side of the road with a dead engine?  I think every Reatta owner should do the same. My motto has always been "Hope for the best and plan for the worst". That has always served me well over the years. Part of that planning is to have Hagerty's Roadside Assistance number handy in case I need a tow. :)

The wife has a flip-phone for emergencies but I have resisted the "smart" phones just because I didn't want to be tied to anything when I retired. Most people have them glued to their hand. I have to admit it sure would be nice to have one to access this website and you guys if I was broke down on the side of the road.

The only part I carry in my car when I am not on a overnight extended mile trip is a 1990 headlight switch, and of course that is in the 'vert. I am parinoid about a potential failure.

In the course of my work I am about 90 miles or less from home and have towing. When I go on a trip then I carry a bunch of parts, but other then the fuel pump relay that fell onto the manifold and melted I have never been stranded by the side of the road. And my cars have lots of miles, but as it pertains to mechanicals are bone stock.

But I digress, I too have a number of people come up and ask about my car. I enjoy showing off the CRT and other features of the car [like the "Show"].

• Ronnie featured this topic