Helping my neighbor with his 1988 Reatta

braebyrn

My good friend and neighbor is old and needs help.  He has a 1988 Reatta that was his wifes car.  They bought the car new and have taken great care of it.  His wife has since gone and now he wants to have one issue fixed.  I already fixed the headlights with the new nylon rollers and arms. 

The CRT was operating intermittently.  It seems that when he has the battery on the maintainer and fully charged up, it always works.  If he forgets to hook up the charger then after a couple of days the screen won't come on.  The battery is new by the way.  I have experienced it too today.  

Check this out.......The instrument panel with the speedometer comes on and does the countdown test (1-0 and all of the lights come on test) when I open and close the door.  Is that correct, just by closing the door?  

The other odd thing is that the RAP (Retained Accessory Power) is not staying on.  I get in the car, close the door, turn the key on and then off and take it out.  Before I open the door, I check to see if the windows will open or close and they don't.  Is the problem to do with the ignition switch?  I looked here, but don't understand it:  http://reattaowner.com/roj/reattaowner.com-classified-ads/230.html

I took all the relays out (under the hood and next to the shifter on the pass. side) and tested them with a test light, ohm test, 12v switched on. They all seemed to work, but I switched each one just to be sure.  Stayed the same.  

The other thing that I don't know if it is supposed to do this is when I open the door, all the buttons on the dash light up for about 5-10 seconds approx. then go out.  If I turn on the key fast then they shut off immediately.  

Thanks for your help.  He wants to let someone else enjoy this car now after it is all fixed.

Welcome to the forum!

Check this out.......The instrument panel with the speedometer comes on and does the countdown test (1-0 and all of the lights come on test) when I open and close the door.  Is that correct, just by closing the door? 

The other thing that I don't know if it is supposed to do this is when I open the door, all the buttons on the dash light up for about 5-10 seconds approx. then go out.  If I turn on the key fast then they shut off immediately. 

That is normal. It is what we call the "light Show".

The CRT was operating intermittently.  It seems that when he has the battery on the maintainer and fully charged up, it always works.  If he forgets to hook up the charger then after a couple of days the screen won't come on.  The battery is new by the way.  I have experienced it too today. 

When this happens does everything else work as it should?  Reattas are sensitive to the battery having a full charge due to all the electronics it has. I would check the battery voltage before starting the engine when the car has been sitting a few days without the charger connected. There could be something draining the battery. If find the the battery is staying fully charged without the charger connected, the CRT may be going bad and needs extra voltage from the maintenance charger to come on.

The other odd thing is that the RAP (Retained Accessory Power) is not staying on.  I get in the car, close the door, turn the key on and then off and take it out.  Before I open the door, I check to see if the windows will open or close and they don't.  Is the problem to do with the ignition switch?  I looked here, but don't understand

I just tested my '88 the same way. The windows and CRT should stay on when the system is in RAP. Just turning the key on and off doesn't activate RAP. I had to turn the key on, start the engine, and then when I removed the key it would go into RAP. Then the windows would still work and the CRT would stay on with the radio controls displayed on the screen when the key is removed. After a period of time the CRT will go dark but the radio controls will still work when you touch the screen.

If you have additional questions feel free to ask. It would be best if you would start a new thread for each problem to make the conversation about it easier to follow.

Great story and I am glad you are helping him out. Regarding the CRT issue, what I would try is removing the CRT and spraying the connector with contact cleaner. Removing the CRT is fairly easy. You start with the speedo trim panel grasping it at the small cross bar as close to the outside edge as possible and then pull. The trim panel is a two piece job with the silver metal mounted to the plastic back panel. Be sure to grab both.

Once off you will see two screws holding the drivers edge of the CRT trim panel. Remove those two screws and remove the CRT panel in much the same way you did the Speedo panel. Then remove the 4 screws holding the CRT in place and slide the CRT out. You will then see your connectors.

Your experience with the "Countdown" is what we call "The Show". This is normal and after almost 30 years most daily drivers no longer have it. It works just as you describe, you lift the outside door handle and release, get in the car [or simply close the door  and look in the window] and the "Show" commences.

The Reatta RAP only allows the radio to work after the keys are removed after the car is turned off. The radio will continue to play for about 10 minutes or until the door is opened and then will turn off. In the RAP the only screen you can "get" on the CRT is the radio screen. I know you have constant power to the seats, and for the '88, the glove box, but am not sure about the rest. I drive one of cars every day and really don't pay attention to the rest as I am pretty much the only driver and everything is set the way I want it.  

Your last comment about opening the door and the lights coming on is, in my opinion, once again the car wanting to do the "Show" I wouldn't be concerned.

Sounds like a nice car with just a minor issue or two.

Good luck!

Hiya! The 'light show' is normal, as noted by others. My car does it as well, with 'Reatta' appearing on the CRT screen. (This is noted as 'Display on Entry' in the owner's manual).

According to the Owner's Manual, 'Retained Accessory Power' goes to the radio, sunroof, windshield wiper/washer, deck lid release, fuel door release, glove box release, and glove box lamp. This lasts for up to ten minutes after the ignition is shut off, or until either door is opened. The CRT (or ECC) will go blank after 30 seconds, but will come back on if touched. Curiously, windows are not listed in the RAP section, but it does say they will operate with RAP activated in the Windows section.

I don't know if this is just an '88 only thing or something unique to my car but Rap won't activate on my car just by turning the key to RUN. I have to start the engine. Then RAP activates and works as it should. Anyone else tried this?

I'm impressed with all your responses, thank you! I'll check the CRT connector and clean them. I didn't start the car to check RAP, so I'll do that.

I did notice that the light was on under the mirror. I wonder if he accidentally left it on and that's what was draining the battery, or is it illuminated on entry and dims off after a minute?

I'll check the voltage today on the battery. I put it on the charger overnight.

You should turn the light off if possible.

The Reatta will slowly drain the battery over a long period of sitting but hot in 2-3 days. This will show you how to check for excessive battery drain. How To Measure Battery Drain

Once again I can't speak about an '88 but my rear view mirror lights do not work with the key off. I also have a Garmin GPS that I do not turn off. It is on 24/7 but then again I drive my car everyday.

You're a great group here. The plug on the back of the crt was covered of what looked like insulation. I blew that out and then sprayed electronic cleaner in and blew that clean. Plugged it back in and it works again. Thanks Daves89. 

Now that that works, I'll post a new issue unrelated.

The plug on the back of the crt was covered of what looked like insulation.

Just to make sure you might want to check that you do not have a new resident inside your Reatta (Mouse) since they tend to make nests that look a lot like insulation.

Just to make sure you might want to check that you do not have a new resident inside your Reatta (Mouse) since they tend to make nests that look a lot like insulation.

Thanks Frogware.  I did check and it looks nice and clean except where the plug is at.  It looked like it was rubbing against the side behind the metal cage.  Inside the plug at the bottom I could see where it looks like insulation was pressed flat.  I have a picture but it is too large to download here.  No signs of rodents, nests or smells.  Anyway, it is working great.  

Thanks