Let's see some Fall Foliage!

Ronnie

Post some photos.  It's a little early here in this part of Tennessee for Fall foliage.  This tree in front of my house is just starting to turn.

fall 2021 (2).JPG

• Like 1

Tennessee must be a great place to live. It appears I'm the only person on this forum that lives in a place where they have colored leaves on their trees. Maybe I should have said "Let's see some photos of your coconuts". This being the Internet it might have got some photos posted that are a lot more interesting than a picture of my car. 🙂 LOL

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Tennessee must be a great place to live. It appears I'm the only person on this forum that lives in a place where they have colored leaves on their trees. Maybe I should have said "Let's see some photos of your coconuts". This being the Internet it might have got some photos posted that are a lot more interesting than a picture of my car. 🙂 LOL

In my area, it seemed to be a disappointing leaf color year. Many theories, but we never got the below freezing temperatures that seem to bring out the reds and then when it flirted with those temps. they were already falling or down. 

Edited by 2seater

In my area just south of Boston, due to the Nor'easter the last couple of days (sustained winds of 65mph+) the once green/yellow leaves that were on the trees are now on the ground...very lack luster fall this year. 

• Sad 1

Southwestern PA is generally beautiful this time of year with colored leaves and fall foliage. Our leaves began to fall off the trees early this year due to dry/drought conditions in early September, but unfortunately, this changed over to an extremely wet last couple weeks. As such, the usual brilliance was muted before the inevitable leaf drop. The trees on my property consist primarily of white oak so the leaf drop is pretty steady over about 6-8 weeks so clean up is an annual headache (backache) for, you guessed it, 6-8 weeks. This year was also heavy in acorn production and necessary clean-up.   

• Like 1

This is the little town where I live. About 6000 people and about a dozen traffic lights. Just the way I like it.  I posted this on the other forum to.

Kingston arial view 2017.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ronnie said:

This is the little town where I live. About 6000 people and about a dozen traffic lights. Just the way I like it.  I posted this on the other forum to.

Kingston arial view 2017.jpg

And for one day the capitol of Tennessee!

4 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

And for one day the capitol of Tennessee!

You know your history Dave. Kingston was the capital of Tennessee for one day to satisfy an agreement in a treaty with the Cherokee Indians.

Did you know that Knoxville was the original capital of Tennessee before they decided to move it to Nashville so it would be more centrally located? Hghway 70 that runs through Kingston was the main route between Knoxville and Nashville. It was the first road officially built by the state of Tennessee.

Kingston was a popular stopover point for important people like Andrew Jackson and John Sevier, the first governor of Tennessee) as they traveled between Knoxville and Nashville. Jackson and Sever didn't like each other and  they attempted to have a dual just outside of Kingston on the road to Knoxville. Sam Houston, the first president of the Republic of Texas and is famous for fighting at the Alamo, once lived in a room above the general store shown below that was in the center of Kingston until it burned about 10 years ago. The owner of the store still has a walking cane he left there. Being the second oldest town in Tennessee, Kingston has a lot of frontier history.

browder_hardware.jpg

Good background on Tennessee history Ronnie, however had Sam Houston fought at the Alamo he would never been governor of Texas as all the male volunteers were killed. Only women, children and some slaves survived. William Travis decided to make the Alamo a "sacrificial lamb" to delay General Santa Anna which allowed Houston to outfit an army which did defeat the Mexican army. 

You are correct Dave. He didn't fight at the Alamo even though he was in Texas at the time. I think he actually argued against fighting at the Alamo. It was actually Davy Crockett of Tennessee and some Tennessee volunteers who died at the Alamo. I had them mixed up as happens a lot when I think about Tennessee history. I think Crockett also served in Tennessee government before going to Texas but I don't think he was ever governor.  

This photo is from a trip Kat and I took yesterday to the Sequatchie Valley, about 50 miles from our house. One of the most peaceful places I know of. Where the photo was taken is so far out and away from everything you hear no noise except for an occasional mooing of a cow in the distance. Not even the sound of a road or highway.  The fall colors were at their peak there. I rarely drive on gravel roads but with no cars around I could drive about 10-15 miles per hour and enjoy the view. Another great day in my Reatta.

swafford chappel (1).jpg

• Like 5