Winter Storage

GARYS89

Hello everyone, I am a new Reatta owner and live in the midwest. I will be winter storing my Reatta for the 1st time at the end of October and I was wondering about which fuel stabilizer is best recommended? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Gary W.821647402_Reatta1.thumb.JPG.b0c281077576fe5975e01ff8c31c5b46.JPG

• Like 1

What's best, I don't know, but my personal experience is with Stabil, which I have used since '93 in my Reatta. Never any issue with starting after hibernation. Full tank, drive a few miles to circulate and park it in a storage unit until spring. Remove battery and bring home, give it a baking soda bath and do a maintenance charge every thirty days or so. Worked for me for a long time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GARYS89 said:

Hello everyone, I am a new Reatta owner and live in the midwest.

Welcome to the forum Gary. Nice looking Reatta you have. I live in the south so I don't do any winter storage or need to add any additives to the gas. I think 2seater gave you some good advice.

• Like 1

How about filling it with ethanol free gas?  I recommend it for all small engines that aren't used frequently ( snow blower, lawn mower, chain saw, ect.) Ethanol in gas is fine for your daily driver as it's burned quickly but if you let it set more than 6 months it tends to congeal into a thick goo. IMHO, adding ethanol to gas was a terrible idea!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, fun car guy said:

IMHO, adding ethanol to gas was a terrible idea!

I agree from the perspective of what is good for internal combustion engines but it did help a little to relieve OPEC's grip on the U.S. The production of ethanol has really helped farmers here in Tennessee who supply a Staleys ethanol plant in Loudon, TN. They buy about 24 million bushels of corn per year, as much as possible from local farmers. It helped turn dying farms around so the farmers can make money again. It has also created dozens of good paying jobs for people in the area who work at the huge plant. I'm sure ethanol has done the same thing for communities across the country. The good thing about the production of alcohol that is used in ethanol is nothing in the corn is wasted or dumped in a landfill. From that corn they make sweeteners, starches and animal feed as well as alcohol. I don't like ethanol in my gas but I do like renewable energy sources that lower our dependence on foreign oil.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I change my oil, check the antifreeze fill up the gas tank and park it then flip the lever on the battery disconnect. I used to put it on dollies, but I don't do that anymore. 4-5 months is about the longest I park a car.

• Like 1

I add either StaBil or Seafoam (which ever is on sale at the time), run it down the road to circulate, fill the gas tank with regular gas (topping it off).  I then park it in its' car igloo, attach a battery tender, put a Cover King cover on, and not start it until the next April.  I then put moth balls in a number of tuna fish cans around the car, but NO moth balls in the car (hate the smell) to discourage rodents from entering the igloo.  I've been using this procedure since 2013 (the year I bought the '91) and have had no adverse situations arrise. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, fun car guy said:

IMHO, adding ethanol to gas was a terrible idea!

I'm not quite sure that my three cars would know what to do with non-ethanol gas anymore!!!  I think it would just confuse them....just sayin'

(91' Reatta, 00' Eldorado, 14' Caddy ATS)

• Agree 1

I use Stabil in everything and also CD-2 in the Judge with no-hardened 12s, have some 6X-8s but haven't swapped.

Btw corn is the least efficient thing possible for eth. Sugar Beets, sweet sorgham, and sugar cane are about 4X more efficient and guess what could grow well in unpopulated south Florida. Most automotive fuel in Brazil comes from sugar cane.

Never used dollies as commented by Daves89. I assume that they were used to help lessen flat spots on the tires due to non-movement for an extended period. However, I air up the tires on my stored vehicles by about an extra 15 lbs of air pressure and this seems to help lessen flat spots.

On 10/23/2021 at 7:35 PM, Ron Walker said:

Never used dollies as commented by Daves89. I assume that they were used to help lessen flat spots on the tires due to non-movement for an extended period. However, I air up the tires on my stored vehicles by about an extra 15 lbs of air pressure and this seems to help lessen flat spots.

I use cast iron wheeled dollies to easily move the car around in the garage during winter.  Once on the dollies, I can push it laterally tight up against the garage side wall to make the most of space in the garage.

• Like 2

Like I said I used to use the dollies but discovered I can back my car tight into the corner along the back wall of my garage. Size of my garage? 22x28. 2seater has seen how I park my cars. 

So the way it works is one Reatta in storage along the back wall, one Reatta on the right side of the garage for daily use, and my wife's car on the left. 

• Agree 1