THE REATTA LOUNGE

Ronnie

19 minutes ago, Padgett said:

Also have ceiling fans with heaters in bedrooms.

I learn something new every day. Never heard of such a thing before.

Probably never will again. 1500w selection exceeds most ceiling fan wiring. I only use 800w setting.

• Thanks 1

On 8/27/2021 at 12:31 PM, Ronnie said:

Things are looking much better for Gary. His wife said he is responding well to the antibiotics and breathing treatments (inhaling something from a machine) for the pneumonia and he is feeling much better to. Hospital stay may not be as long as originally thought. That's good news.

Gary's home. Still on oxygen and lots of meds. He says he is still really sick but getting better. He has lost 22 pounds since getting this virus. No taste. No smell. Joint aches and muscle aches like he has been beat up every day. He said he thought he was tough enough to easily beat this but now admits he was wrong.

• Like 4

Glad to hear that your friend's progress has been, apparently, positive. The continued medical attention appears to be necessary to a path of recovery. The side effects of covid may last awhile, but hears hoping that the duration is shorter rather than longer. I hope for continued positive progress. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Change of subject: Came home yesterday to find my natural gas water heater was out. This happened a few weeks ago also, but after relighting the pilot, it functioned normally for the two days I was home. I should have suspected it wasn't just a fluke. I have been spending extended time at my cottage, which is the reason for this on again, off again contact with my home. This is just a common water heater sold at many big box stores and I installed it just last year at the end of November. Water heaters last a long time in this city, 30 years and more, so this is unexpected. In this case, it refused to hold the pilot light after relighting. The wonderful internet suggested a couple of possibilities and in due course I replaced the thermocouple and inspected the internal overheat device which was not tripped. This is a sealed chamber for the firing section of heater and the entire pilot and burner assembly gets removed as a unit. The last possibility is a defective gas valve but when I called the manufacturer service line to discuss the issues, I found the service line is only available five days a week during normal business hours. Whaaat? I did contact two plumbers prior to my getting into this but neither was able to respond in my needed timeframe, hence my reason for my involvement. I guess the reason for this mini rant is how accustomed I have become to almost instant service and disappointment when not available, plus a brand I have trusted for many decades, seems to have screwed the pooch on this one. I figure if you search the internet, using no pilot light and similar search terms, when the YouTube help videos pop up showing your exact brand, I figure there is a problem. I know this isn't life threatening, or even important. Rant over  

• Like 2

I've never had a gas water heater so I know little about them. My brother-in-law has one and he had a similar problem to you where the pilot light kept going out. The repair guy installed an new thermocouple but it didn't fix the problem. Greg was told the vent pipe was partially blocked causing the heater shut down. Don't ask me how a 3" pipe can get blocked but that is what they told him the problem was. Maybe the vent pipe is a double wall pipe and the inside had rusted out? Do gas water heaters have a sensor that monitors the flue gases going out?

If mention the brand/model I can look up the schematic. Might see something. Would think a year old would be under warrenty. Unfortunately repair/help is a cost center and not a profit center so the first to go/replace with furriners who can almost read a script.

2 hours ago, Padgett said:

If mention the brand/model I can look up the schematic. Might see something. Would think a year old would be under warrenty. Unfortunately repair/help is a cost center and not a profit center so the first to go/replace with furriners who can almost read a script.

Yes, it is under warranty and the help desk was prompt and helpful when I finally got through. The warranty covers installation too if I choose to go that route but for now, they are sending a new gas valve which I will decide upon installation when it arrives. For now, I am back at my cottage where there is actual hot water🙂. I noticed my kitchen fridge started making a clicking noise this morning on top iof everything. Just a simple bottom drawer freezer type and it acts like a breaker or something trips every few seconds. Unplugged it and went out for breakfast. Two hours later, plugged it in and no clicking and compressor runs? I had left a message for the local repair place I have had good luck with over many years and he called back when headed north that there is likely a relay on the compressor or control panel on the way out. This fridge was destined for replacement at some point with a counter depth model as I rearrange my kitchen. This one was planned to go to the cottage with it's larger capacity, replacing the existing one which will become the backup beer fridge out in the workshop. The present beer fridge is at least fifty years old but keeps the important stuff ice cold.

• Like 2

If you live in the Northeast I hope you are safe from the flooding. The weather I'm seeing on TV tonight caught me completely by surprise.  I thought it might get rough here in TN as Ida came through but we only had moderate rain. Never thought it would still be so strong by time it got up that far.

As I've mentioned in previous posts, I live about 10 south of Boston along the coast.  Four to five inches of rain fell north of me and south of me.  Weymouth rec'd only about 2 two inches.  Overnight rain was intense, but as of 7am rain has stopped and moved out to sea.  Sump pump is kicking in every minute and a half, though.  Today is only expected to be in the mid sixties, if that.

Got a big car show coming up on Sunday (9/5).  Usually 700+ cars show up.  Weather is expected to be mid seventies and sunny with relatively low humidity.  Vendors will have sausage/pepper/onion subs and fried dough with powdered sugar for sale...can't wait!

Ship, Glad the worst of it missed you. I long for the low humidity of Fall. It's already 76 here at 11:25a and very humid.

• Thanks 1

Funny, 5" and you have flooding, we get 10" on a weekend and are usually just back to normal. Of course sounds like most problems were people living in basements, something we do not have here (would be indoor swimming pools). Meanwhile September is usually the transition from garage work at night to during the day. Meanwhile last major hurricane was in '04, guess it is global warming.

On 8/24/2021 at 11:22 AM, Ronnie said:

My best friend is hospitalized with Covid.

In my first post in this topic I said Covid was off limits for discussion but I have changed it to say "Covid vaccine". The reason I changed that is because I got a call last night from the daughter of my best friend telling me Gary and his wife have Covid. I realize most of you won't care about this story. Feel free to stop reading here if you like. I'm writing this in hopes it might keep someone else from finding themselves in the same situation.

Gary was taken to a large hospital in Knoxville yesterday, bypassing the local hospital, so he must be in pretty bad shape. Gary and his wife both went to the doctor at the same time but they waited about a week before they went. The doctor said that was a big mistake. His wife, who I understand caught it a little later from Gary, was able to take the monoclonal antibodies treatment and return home if she agreed to stay in bed and rest. Her daughter is a nurse and is taking care of her. The doctors said it was too late for that treatment to help Gary.

The last time I talked to Gary at the drag strip we were sitting in the back of his enclosed trailer and the subject of Covid came up. He told me he hadn't had the shot because he didn't think he needed it. He said he had never had a flu shot and had never had the flu. He said he thought he was strong enough to fight Covid off if he got it. He said he thought the news had blown this Covid thing all out of proportion.

Gary told his daughter to call me and let me know he was in the hospital with Covid and tell me "if he had known it was going to be this rough he would have taken the shot." His daughter said the worst thing about this situation, besides the fear of losing her Dad, is that fact that no one can go in to see him. All the family can do is talk to his ICU nurse on the phone a few times a day.  This is a very sad situation that could have been avoided. I'm afraid of losing my best friend. I hope it turns out good for him.

Just readin through all these now, but I hope he's doing better.

48 minutes ago, CameraGuyLou said:

Just readin through all these now, but I hope he's doing better.

I talked to him yesterday. He is doing much better and so is his wife. He has weened himself off the oxygen and was able to walk down to his garage for the first time on Sunday morning.  He says sleeping at night due to joint aches and muscle pains and no energy during the day is his biggest problems now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Ronnie said:

I talked to him yesterday. He is doing much better and so is his wife. He has weened himself off the oxygen and was able to walk down to his garage for the first time on Sunday morning.  He says sleeping at night due to joint aches and muscle pains and no energy during the day is his biggest problems now.

Glad he doing better, but what he is dealing with now sounds like old age to me...

14 minutes ago, DAVES89 said:

what he is dealing with now sounds like old age to me...

Could be. Maybe that's one of the side effects of having Covid. 🙂

People age differently. Latest news is that in the US, 40,000,000 people have had the foo but less than 2% have died. Personally believe in vaccine, two already and probably another next month. Am also a recluse.

Thankfully he's doing much better.  Hopefully the rest of his recovery goes a lot faster.