THE REATTA LOUNGE

Ronnie

1 hour ago, 2seater said:

Remember, the "Theory of (insert item here) is; if some is good, more is better and too much is just right".

Way back when I was really into drag racing, I remember a theory that said, "the only substitute for cubic inches is cubic money." That was back in the good ole days when we thought if you could produce over one horsepower per cubic inch you had a high performance engine.  🙂 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

OTOH I believe that boost has a place: above 10,000 feet.

A year of Motor Trend + and my earlier racing experience has taught me that

- drifting is slow

- burnouts (aka going up in smoke) are not only slow, but boring (and would not sell them a life insurance policy)

- doughnuts are just boring

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Padgett said:

OTOH I believe that boost has a place: above 10,000 feet.

… a Grand National going up Pikes Peak 😝?

• Haha 1

There was a period in the mid-80s when near everything in the GM stable got a turbo but all were automagics.  Did have a GTP with a DOHC 24valve v6 and a Getrag 5 speed.

I suspect emissions and the ability to get the O2 sensor and cat. hot immediately may have had something to do with turbocharging fading a bit into the 90's and 00's? Need that heat for the O2 and catalyst, so supercharging became the go to power adder. Once they figured out how to integrate and close couple the turbine, everything is a candidate if designed in. Two hp and 2.4 lb/ft of torque per cubic inch, on 87 octane, with a warranty, is pretty impressive and common today.

• Agree 1

…still love the fact that the 87 GN with a V6 made the Corvette folks take note. 

• Agree 3

• 3 weeks later...

Reatta needed to have a TX state safety inspection completed…

comments from the young technician….
…What is this (car)

…Its pretty awesome
…never seen one of those before (CRT screen)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We were out to eat last night and the male wait staff all went to the window to look at the 'vert. Our server asked me all kinds of questions about it. They were slow when we were there so I asked the guy if he wanted to drive it. He said he couldn't go outside.

• Like 4

When I'm at a cruise-in or car show I always invite the young kids looking at my car to sit in the drivers seat and push the buttons while I show them all the features of the CRT. They're amazed that a car so old had a touch screen from the factory. A lot of them ask me if I installed it myself. 

• Like 3

I attend a local cruise-in every Friday evening where at least 300 cars show up.  There are usually only a half dozen Buicks in attendance, but I'm the only Reatta.  Ninety-nine-point nine percent of participants have never even heard of one.  BUT every now and again a GM mechanic will stop by and remember the Reatta at the dealership they once worked at.  

• Like 1

It would be interesting to know the distribution by area of where Reattas were shipped to.   I would bet that large areas of population had but a few Reattas delivered to them.   To those folks the car never existed..................

During the time that Reattas were built and sold, very few (and I mean very!) were sold in Eastern MA.  You have to remember that the Reatta was the most expensive Buick for folks to purchase (after 1991, the Riviera became the most expensive Buick).  Additionally, during this time only old folks bought Buicks.

Heck I go back to when a Buick was a Doctors car. Suspect most were sold in the midwest and Florida

On 4/2/2023 at 2:51 PM, ship said:

Additionally, during this time only old folks bought Buicks.

🤔I’ve been told I have an old soul…

purchased new in my 20’s…

1984 Buick Skyhawk T-Type Turbo

1987 Buick Grand National

• Haha 1

I think the writing is on the wall for Reatta forums. Even though I've been a member of the AACA Reatta forums since 2007, and I've had this Reatta forum for several years, it has got to the point where if I want to read posts about Reattas I have to go to Facebook. I don't comment much on Facebook, but I find myself visiting the Reatta groups there a lot and will probably start participating more. I find forums more useful for sharing information but you have to go where the people are if you enjoy reading posts about Reattas...

• Agree 1

Attended my first local cruise-in of the 2023 season.  Spent copious number of hours last weekend spiffing up the Reatta prior to the cruise-in.

IMG_0593 (002).jpg

IMG_0597 (002).jpg

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, ship said:

Attended my first local cruise-in of the 2023 season.  Spent copious number of hours last weekend spiffing up the Reatta prior to the cruise-in.

It looks great!

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I started a new topic about my Mercedes adventures called: "Ronnie's New Toy (Mercedes)".

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm sitting in a McDonalds waiting for my 1:00 appointment in Oconto, Wi. to appear and so far two different people came up to me to ask about my Reatta.

Our cars are rare and most people have never seen one before...

• Like 2
  • Agree 2