THE REATTA LOUNGE

Ronnie

Last time I drove the Red I noticed that the oil pressure was "dancing" a bit so I went to Rock Auto and Amazon to price out sending units. Standard was about $50.00 each at both places so I went to Ebay and bought 2 for the combined price of $40.00 delivered. I already had one but now I have an extra one for each of my cars.

On another note and a bit of a rant. I came here and talked about buying another Delco ignition conversion plate and how important it is to have extra tested ignition modules so one can tell if that is the problem [and it is the most common problem] and yet no one contacted me about buying it. Guys why do you not invest in your car and have a few common parts around to keep your cars running? What I see when the problem starts is new parts are bought to throw at it, get frustrated and sell the car. When an extra set of plug wires, plugs, mass air flow sensor, oxygen sensor, Delco coil pack and ignition module takes care of about 90% of the cars issues.

I run thousands of miles a year and I'll bet in the 15 years of combined ownership of all my cars about 300,000 miles on top of the 100,000 miles the cars already had on them not had the down time I have read about here.

End of rant...

• Agree 2

Primary care Doc scheduled a stress test for me last week for afternoon today.  Yesterday, the town let me know that they were going to reline the sewer pipes on my street starting this morning at 7am.  I was told that I could not use shower/tub, dishwasher, washing machine, sink drains, OR flush any toilets for the whole day!  In fact, they recommended that I stuff towels around the first floor toilet in case I got any grey/black water back flash through my street connection to the toilet.  So, I got up at 6am, took a shower, used the toilet, did a load of wash, and don't you know it they don't show up until 9am.  Needless to say I had moucho stress before I even went to my stress test!  Luckily, I had no back flash of any kind, and my stress test went pretty good from what I was told, preliminarily.  I figure not bad for being 72 (and a half)....fingers crossed.  Never thought I'd have any stress since retirement. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, ship said:

my stress test went pretty good from what I was told, preliminarily.  I figure not bad for being 72 (and a half)....fingers crossed. 

Hope you get a good report. I've had several stress tests over the years.  Just walking on a treadmill, treadmill with contrast dye, and the last test was just an injection that speeds up the heart without a treadmill because of a bad knee. None of them revealed my heart problem but an echo-cardiogram did.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

On another note and a bit of a rant. I came here and talked about buying another Delco ignition conversion plate and how important it is to have extra tested ignition modules so one can tell if that is the problem [and it is the most common problem] and yet no one contacted me about buying it. Guys why do you not invest in your car and have a few common parts around to keep your cars running?...

...When an extra set of plug wires, plugs, mass air flow sensor, oxygen sensor, Delco coil pack and ignition module takes care of about 90% of the cars issues....

I agree with you Dave about keeping spare parts on hand. As you know I have quite a few parts for my Reatta and most of the ones you mentioned but not a ignition module and coils. I remember your post about you picking up a couple of ignition modules but I didn't know you were offering them for sale. Since you have 3 Reattas I must have thought you were keeping them for spares. Of maybe I just scanned over your post quickly and didn't notice you were offering them for sale.

On my 88 I have a Delco system on the engine and a spare Magnavox in the trunk. Suspect are a few Delcos around but need to hire some grad students for a dig, rally do not know how many of what I have. Going to use a '90 radio to test radio modules from 88-89, they just plug in.

ps being subhumed by Windows 11, what can be upgraded, what cannot, and what can be lied about. Amazing thing is the skyrocketting of CPUs that are on The List. An AMD 3200G was $99 a year ago and are close on $300 now. Not sure why the mass hysteria but M$ is obsoleting everything before 2018 and many later ones cannot be updated (e.g. anything with a smaller drive than 64GB). Thought only Apple did that.

Edited by Padgett
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Padgett said:

ps being subhumed by Windows 11, what can be upgraded, what cannot, and what can be lied about.

I hope they continue to support Win-10 for a long time. I've been very happy with it and found it to be very reliable and crash free. Also no problems with viruses and malware as long as I keep Avast running. I'm still a little paranoid about why they allowed me to download Win-10 for free a few years ago and still allows me to get automatic updates for free.

Believe it or not I'm still running Windows 8.1 on my 6 year old Acer laptop.  Am planning to upgrade laptop and s/w this coming Spring, though.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ronnie said:

I agree with you Dave about keeping spare parts on hand. As you know I have quite a few parts for my Reatta and most of the ones you mentioned but not a ignition module and coils. I remember your post about you picking up a couple of ignition modules but I didn't know you were offering them for sale. Since you have 3 Reattas I must have thought you were keeping them for spares. Of maybe I just scanned over your post quickly and didn't notice you were offering them for sale.

I didn't offer them for sale on this post but you know as a longer time poster and moderator I have been a long time advocate of investing in yourself/car and have known good parts on hand. And as most everyone knows I do sell parts occasionally so it might be to far a stretch to say it was available. 

Is how I wound up with two Allantes. In 2020 they were pocket change (Hagerty says have come up A Lot since) Figured one really nice one to drive and a second (same year) for parts. Problem arises when second one is really too good (runs/drives, cold AC, nice interior and body) to be a parts car.

M$ Windows for many years had the Linux model. Make $$ on licenses and new (OEM) computers, retail is just a convenience). When you look at the real model, once the servers and access (M$ is their own provider) the updates/upgrades really have near-zero cost, hardware is already amortised.

Aside: it is easy to tell what kind of license you have by opening a DOS box ( press win (windows button on bottom left of keyboard)-R and enter CMD). When box opens type "SLMGR /DLI" (enter).

Computers were my rice bowl before retirement, I still build the occasional one. One of the effects of the Windows 11 craze is that a AMD Ryzen 3 3200G CPU has gone from $99 (new) a year ago to $300 NIB and $200 used today. It is on The List.

That said M$ has stated that support for Windows 8 ended in 2016 and Windows 10 support will end in 2025 so no real reason to upgrade yet. Win 11 is said to be mainly for security and gamers.

They say a true collector does not know how many he/she has. I am kinda that way with personal computers. Earliest is an IBM 5150, earliest "transportable" is a hot-rodded 1983 Columbia VP-1600 on which I wrote a lot of AV software. Then there is a pile of tablets (at one point I thought a Tablet with a docking station and keyboard/monitor/mouse was going to take over the world. Was rong, not that bad. And then there was "Windows to Go"...), pile of net/notebooks, two main desktops in the office, and five more desktops (one running Kali Linux to manage them all) in the toy room. Did recently need to rewire house to Cat 6 for gig ethernet. Probably should have gone wireless but to reach really high speeds need to wire direct. Besides provider just raised my connection to 200 Mb/s and Cat 5 was no longer good enough.

Oh well if ny one needs some help, just email.

• Thanks 1

I have a question that is way out in left field but a multi discipline group here. The attached photo is the objective lens of an 8x32 monocular I have had since the 90’s. The defect on the lens appears to be in the coating and I am looking for a possible source to recoat the lens. This particular scope was sold by Orion telescopes with the “Eagle Eye” model name. It is Japanese. I have found the same scope under a couple of other names, KenMax Galleryscope for one. Exact same specs 7.8 degree field of view. I thought I had tracked down the actual Japanese manufacturer but somehow I have lost the trail. I would really like to have this one fixed  if possible. It isn’t Zeiss quality but is generally rugged, compact and weighs six oz. Any suggestions welcome.

4C8DC117-07B5-4065-AF00-3EB3BCB6E56E.jpegI should add, it has a long eye relief so full field is available with glasses on and the eyepiece is over 3/4” diameter, not the little peep hole like on inexpensive small monoculars. 

Edited by 2seater

If anyone is out junking at a you pick yard and want to pick up a serpentine belt that bypasses the A/C compressor for emergencies the car to look at is a 2003-2005 Buick Park Avenue with the super charger. I looked here at the website for the part number, then went to ebay and keyed in the number, got a number of cars listed, then went to Rock Auto and looked up the car and the same part number is given.

I have a new one in the trunk of my car but would like another, so next time I am at Gibsons... 

Edited by DAVES89
  • Thanks 4

In 2010 I bought a Dayco 5061020DR Serpentine Belt and a bando 6PK1840. Think one of those was the bypass belt.

12 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

serpentine belt that bypasses the A/C compressor for emergencies

I have kept a new A/C bypass belt in the bottom of a toolbox in the trunk for years. I carry a few small parts like relays, fuses and spark plugs but I need to carry a few more parts like Delco ICM/coils and a good MAF sensor. I don't have either one of those on hand right now.

This is my two "get me home" boxes I keep in the trunk. The toolboxes are mainly for troubleshooting. Anybody else carry a fuel pressure tester and a set of jumper cables in the trunk?

SAM_3866.thumb.JPG.fba686e40068616dba3fb6529c79f9a5.JPG

SAM_3870.thumb.JPG.3b7c9a9f2715d9025e08959dced3622a.JPG

• Like 1

I carry a stock belt and a bypass belt as well as an alternator. I have been on the road with two different cars when my alternator went out. Also an extra Delco coil pack/ignition module. Of course also my junking tools...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

For my Reatta and Eldorado around town/local cruise-ins/local car shows I carry a box of small tools and cleaning/detailing supplies.  Our daily driver has small tools and emergency stuff (blankets, band aids, emergency lights, etc).  When going to salage yards I carry "junking tools" in my "junking satchel".  When traveling long distance (i.e. BCA Nat'l) I carry a larger tool box along with MAF, alternator, plugs & wires, oil & tranny fluid, coil/ignition pack, emergency stuff, etc., and of course my AAA Plus card.

Edit: I also always carry a non-a/c belt in my Reatta ever since Daves89 mentioned it a few years back. 

Edited by ship
  • Like 1

Spotted today in LaCrosse WI, located on the Mississippi, by #2 son. I thought it was a photo of his but he mentioned it has a gray interior, so much less common. Anyone here?? No front plate which is supposed to be on a WI car but who knows🤔

2532FC4D-D301-45A9-B81A-5D566A609B46.jpeg

Edited by 2seater

22 hours ago, 2seater said:

Spotted today in LaCrosse WI, located on the Mississippi, by #2 son. I thought it was a photo of his but he mentioned it has a gray interior, so much less common. Anyone here?? No front plate which is supposed to be on a WI car but who knows🤔

2532FC4D-D301-45A9-B81A-5D566A609B46.jpeg

A rare sighting, especially in the Wisconsin winter.  Ours is hibernating at 45 degrees for the next six months, give or take.

2 hours ago, alchemist said:

A rare sighting, especially in the Wisconsin winter.  Ours is hibernating at 45 degrees for the next six months, give or take.

Mine too. Our friends north of the border are sending our first real chill of the season, 5*F right now and still dropping, with gentle gale force NW winds all day. The feels like is well below zero F if you are unfortunate enough to roam around in the open. At least the mosquito flocks have been sent packing, although once in a while one thaws out when the car warms up so I still get a little practice swatting at them.🙄

• Like 1