Body control module Problems?

Danpatters583

Hello all,

I've experienced some strange issues lately with my Buick. Its a 1990 MY. A while ago, I was getting code E024 intermittently. which is a Vehicle speed sensor code. Every now and then it would start to shut off and act like it was slowly running out of gas. Then pick up again if I let off the throttle. It would do this a few times and then clear its self up and keep on chugging along with no issues. I replaced the VSS a few months ago due to some strange numbers I was getting and out of precaution. I have not had any issues until yesterday. It stalled on me three times on my way to work. All three times fired right back up like there was no issue. Got to work with it running great. I got off work, and went to leave. Started the car. It started with no issues.... minus the fact that my dash was completely black with the word "error" where the mileage would normally be and dashed lines where the HVAC read out would be.. Again car was still running just fine with these symptoms. So, I shut it off and restarted it and every this returned to normal. Now, I have (in the history) E024, E038, E047 (if memory serves right on that last one) and just about every B code from 332 up you can have. no other codes. I have had a few B codes present for a while due to the broken splices that are apparently common on these cars. I was planning on fixing the splices just haven't had a whole lot of time to do it lately. Was going to make the time to do it now cuz I cant open my trunk and a few other other problems that occur due to those splices. and now with my other issues I figured it couldn't hurt and it needs to be done any way. So might as well.

I was curious to see if any one else has had a similar issue before? Does it sound like the BCM is bad? I've never really had a car with a BCM on it so I am a tad bit lost as to where to even start looking to troubleshoot. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Is the carpet behind the passenger seat wet ? A bad ground can act like almost anything. Fix the splices first. BCMs rarely fail.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

No the carpet is not wet. Is there another ground behind the pasanger seat? All the ones under the hood look brand new. I cleaned them all anyway but look brand new still. Im going to fix the splices hopefully Tuesday. I will let you guys know what I find in the process. 

On 6/19/2021 at 7:49 PM, Danpatters583 said:

Again car was still running just fine with these symptoms. So, I shut it off and restarted it and every this returned to normal. Now, I have (in the history) E024, E038, E047 (if memory serves right on that last one) and just about every B code from 332 up you can have. no other codes.

I don't believe any of those codes would effect engine performance. I don't think the BCM will cause engine performance problems like you describe either. I'm thinking a fuel supply problem or a problem with the ignition system. I would do a complete fuel pump test and then replace the ICM (if you have a spare).

Even GM says:

1) record codes

2) clear codes

3) see what comes back

It is only (C)urrent codes that need concern you.

• Agree 1

Thank you all. I will do a fuel system test like mentioned above. I will clear the codes and see what come back up.