Need a little help.

jon L

Could someone please measure the height of your car? From the center of each wheel well to the ground and let ne now. Front and rear. 

I think I may have figured a way to lower the cars.

Thanks in advance.

Jon.

Center of wheel lip to ground: 28" front 28.5" rear but is with 225x60x16 tires on 16x7 rims.

Edited by Padgett

It looks like I did lower it some. The front measures 26 3/4" and the rear 27".

The fron is as low as I can go as my airdam come close to touching on driveways.

I think the rear could come down a little but it rides really well as it is.

28.25” front and 28.75” rear 225x55R16 on 7” wide rims

Apparently you don't agree with the original designers.  I fear when you park your lowered car and hit the fiberglass front against the cement stop, you may change your mind.

Some lowering occurs naturally over time for various reasons. The black 89 my son has from Daves89 is considerably lower but I don’t remember the specifics without remeasuring. That car has approximately 325k miles on it but the lower profile does look good.

1 hour ago, 2seater said:

Some lowering occurs naturally over time for various reasons. The black 89 my son has from Daves89 is considerably lower but I don’t remember the specifics without remeasuring. That car has approximately 325k miles on it but the lower profile does look good.

325K?  That makes me feel better about my '89 with 160K!

The 325 is on the body. The engine has about 225 and the tranny about 50

The Reattas I have now; 1989 Red 305k[45 on the engine and tranny], The 1990 'vert 128k, the 1988 Black 190k. These cars will take the miles.

Edited by DAVES89
  • Like 1

"Apparently you don't agree with the original designers. " Not when influenced by beancounters who insisted on a 15x6 stock wheel. Even my Fiero GT had 15x7s, the 16x7s on mine came from a Bonneville. Some make it easier to repair since nearly all of the electronics, drivetrain, and ABS came from a stock parts bin.

Fun car guy. When I hit one, you will be the first one I will notify.

The ground clearance is lower in the front because I have an adjustable air dam installed below the valance and I have never hit

a curb or any other obstacle, I don't plan on doing so.

Edited by jon L

13 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

The 325 is on the body. The engine has about 225 and the tranny about 50

The Reattas I have now; 1989 Red 305k[45 on the engine and tranny], The 1990 'vert 128k, the 1988 Black 190k. These cars will take the miles.

Interesting but still makes me feel better about mine, thanks.  It was owned by a series of three elderly parties so it was well maintained and garage kept.  However, I'm stumped as to why it's still running roughly, might have to have it towed to my mechanic, needs a new steering rack anyway.  He's a younger guy so may not have good knowledge about an older car though.

Thanks for posting the link to the other, and primary, post for discussion. Interesting reading, but way too complicated for me, and, like you, I'm not fond of the lower look. And, from a practical standpoint, I think the Reatta is low enough now, since entry and exit already is a bit difficult for aging joints. 

• Like 1