Thoughts on Radio Replacement - 1990 Vintage

alchemist

Wow! I've not saw a Reatta with a big screen like that before. Is it replacing the factory radio in the dash or just mounted in front of it? Nice job.

Also wondering if you disconnected the factory tweeter or kept it in place? Most people find the sound better if you keep the tweeter and it's crossover.

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

Wow! I've not saw a Reatta with a big screen like that before. Is it replacing the factory radio in the dash or just mounted in front of it? Nice job.

Also wondering if you disconnected the factory tweeter or kept it in place? Most people find the sound better if you keep the tweeter and it's crossover.

It is replacing the factory radio.  There is a single DIN head unit and the screen mounts on a pivot on the front of what is in the radio slot.  Used a 1.5 to single DIN adapter from Metra plus all of their wiring adapters.

I left the tweeters and crossover in place.

IMG_20210613_174740026.thumb.jpg.f4cdb355f7ef9a921308c5a6b8ad5c39.jpg

Edited by alchemist

That's cool the way the screen fits on a swivel. Never saw one like that beflre.

That is great for a 90-91 but would be very difficult on an 88-89 because the factory touchscream is integrated into the computers. Would pretty much need to be a Windows tablet.

dash.jpg

19 minutes ago, Padgett said:

That is great for a 90-91 but would be very difficult on an 88-89 because the factory touchscream is integrated into the computers. Would pretty much need to be a Windows tablet.

dash.jpg

Yeah, sorry I can't help you with that one.  🙂

19 hours ago, Padgett said:

Mylar speakers are much better than paper.

Interesting the paper was still intact.  This is all the chunks of foam from the perimeter of the paper cone.  And yes, the new speakers are poly of some sort.

Edited by alchemist

• 1 month later...

Looks pretty cool. I'm Jealous🙂 Three questions: Is it easily removed to prevent theft? I have a Red/Tan 90 Vert also and I purchased some 10olm NOS Grand National 4x10's to go with my NOS 90's GM Radio upgraded with Aux input and Bluetooth.

image.png.1a2ce5ae761ebf95de839b18dfaf5c3f.png

I figure 10olm speakers would be better with factory radios but perhaps I'm wrong about that. Am I? The thing is, the speakers are too large and physically don't fit on the hole. If I go with aftermarket will they fit without modification? Did yours?

Thanks

The screen is not readily removable and I do worry about the ease of someone ripping it out.  Thankfully, we do not drive it much (500 or so miles per year) and take it for rides to nicer places where such things are less of a concern.  I used Kicker 47KSC41004 KS Series Low Profile speakers in the rear, they fit perfect without modifications.  Not certain about the impedance with a factory head unit versus what I have.  Looks like your head unit is different than stock (CD's were separate on 90's) so not certain the matching requirement for that unit in comparison to the Reatta standard.  I am contemplating having East Coast Reatta Parts rebuild (capacitors bad) the factory radio and add bluetooth.  Though the Jensen unit I installed is nice, the screen glare is bad (hey, no top most of the time).

Yeah the head unit is early 90 gm so perhaps 4olms is fine. I got from ccc87gn on ebay in 2009. I sent it back twice for repairs to replace the a couple of Bulbs and most recently the Board that controls FM reception. His prices I think are better than Eastcoast reatta. The last repair/ Bluetooth upgrade cost 229.00. Got the unit back back in a timely manner. They have a 100 percent rating on Ebay so I definitely recommend them. My interior at 197K not as nice as yours.20210728_165356.thumb.jpg.1b9c1dc67593ecdef2e54ce6d218461f.jpgThanks

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update.  I was working with Marck at East Coast Reatta's on a replacement door lock switch and I asked about sending in my OEM radio module for capacitor replacement.  He commented about the rebuilt ones he sells with Bluetooth and AUX input.  Well, I finally spent my first communion money and bought it.  Installed yesterday and I am impressed.

If anyone is interested in the Jensen CAR 910 setup in the earlier pictures, it is available and contains the 1.5 DIN adapter and the wiring harness adapter.  Message me for details and price.

Cheers!

Edited by alchemist

• 3 weeks later...