Driving on the Dragon

Ronnie

Driving a slow car fast,

is more fun than driving a fast car slow!

killboy - 2.jpg

killboy - 1.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

A few photos. Driving on the Tail of the Dragon again on Sunday 5/23/21. Note the bike at the bottom. 

dragon5-23-2.jpg

dragon5-23-3.jpg

dragon5-23-6.jpg

dragon5-23-8.jpg

dragon5-23-9.jpg

There are several curves on the Dragon like the one below where you come down a hill into the corner and the have to accelerate up the hill coming out of the curve. If I went into the corner fast and accelerated out really hard I could hear the rear tire rubbing the inner fender well. The camera the guys taking the photos use are so fast they don't show how fast the cars are going into the corners but let me tell you, everyone goes fast on the Dragon or you get run over. 🙂

dragon5-23-10.jpg

The guys on bikes like this go all out like they are racing. Hundreds of them a day go up and down the 11 miles of the Dragon to take on the curves. A handful of them get killed each year on the Dragon from going over the side of the road into trees. There are no guardrails on the Dragon and the ravines are steep. Last year one of them ran off the road and it was over a week before they found him.

dragon5-23-11.jpg

dragon5-23-12.jpg

• Like 4

Great pics Ronnie! I thought there were speed limits, is that not the case?

There is a speed limit. I think it's 30 MPH but on busy days like the weekends it would be almost impossible to enforce. I doubt the police even try because they know everyone is there because they want to go through the curves as fast as they can and have fun. There aren't many places to pull over on the side of the road and on busy days they are mostly filled with spectators wanting to watch people go around the curves. So the police can't set up speed traps because they don't have any good places to park. They just drive around the Dragon and try to catch people driving really reckless and ticket them as a deterrent. About the fastest you get is probably 50 because there isn't much of a straightaway between the curves. You just feel like you are going a 100 because it's like you in a slalom race. You are constantly either jumping on the gas or jumping on the brakes and your fighting that steering wheel like you are mad at it. Lots of fun but it will wear you out after just a little while.

• Like 1

Looks like a lot of fun - but scary. I'll add "the Dragon" to my bucket list. 

• Like 1

We are lucky here in East TN to have lots of fun places to drive with lots of curves. There is a place closer to me called the Devil''s Triangle that is like the Dragon but the road isn't as wide and the pavement isn't as good. For that reason most people prefer the Dragon.

• Like 1