ECM is a bear to reinstall

sotheysay

I was monkeying around in the dash fixing small things and at some point I removed the ECM. It was a pain to get out, however it's proving difficult to reinstall correctly. Surely you just do the reverse of what it took to get out, right?
After great difficulty I managed to get the ECM back up into its slot. However it sits about a half inch too far foward and the plastic bracket doesn't line up with the screw hole. The harness running behind on the firewall was a major sticking point and seems to prevent me simply pushing the ECM back into place. Had anybody else experienced this?

I should point out i'm the 4th? owner of this 200k+ mile 1989 Reatta. The car needs a lot of TLC and it appears the previous owner tackled some problems without prior research. Wish me luck.

Update - managed to get the darned thing back in. It seems without the metal boxes in place all of the wiring and plastic "relaxed" and got out of shape.

Edited by sotheysay

I usually roll the carpet back a bit, that gives a little more room.

• Agree 1

If I may ask, why did you remove the ECM in the first place?  I'm having some trouble with my BCM hoping I just have a bad fuse.  If that's not the problem, I might have to do major surgery myself!

Also, I'm assuming all of these modules are located under the dash?

1 hour ago, fun car guy said:

More accurately, they are forward of the dash, approximately in line with the glovebox.

Thanks for that.  If I ever have to replace one of them, at least I'll know where they are.

1 hour ago, fun car guy said:

You can access the BCM just by removing the glovebox. The ECM can be accessed by removing the kick panel (The service manual calls it a "sound insulator") and the CCM (box with 4 colorful tubes coming out of it) requires both. The carpet in a Reatta is thick and as Padgett mentioned can be removed for greater clearance.

As for why I removed the ECM, it's part of the heater core removal https://reattaowner.com/roj/95-accessories/heat-a-ac-system/114-heater-core-replacement-instructions
Somebody used too much stop leak and the car overheated. Need to change the oil and see if it bears bearings when I have a moment.

Edited by sotheysay

OK. that eliminates that mystery.  I just hope I don't have to experience replacing any of them.  I understand from Ronnie that my problem is with the BCM, no interior lights, fog lights or dash display.  I understand the BCM is the first in the series and controls these lights.  

Could you tell me if there are any fuse blocks under the dash?  I'm trying to find and that might be blown.

Wow! This is like x-ray vision.  So there's another entire fuse block hidden behind the top one.  I wonder if any of them control the BCM, if so you may have found the answer to my problem.   Thank you very much!