Getting Ready For Spring

Ronnie

After many long hours of polishing and waxing I'm done. I took a few photos outside today while the weather was nice. My Reatta looks better right now than it ever has... and probably the best it ever will again. It was a lot of work. Although the paint is still not perfect,  I'm very happy with the results.

Click below to see large images:

Photo-1

Photo-2

Photo-3

SAM_3561.thumb.JPG.fc415f08683904481ba7a36b81cd8615.JPG

SAM_3562.thumb.JPG.1988af446596083a939cec83306bd42f.JPG

SAM_3564.thumb.JPG.0ebc9c8195c7ea881eb36b4565a3e38c.JPG

Thanks Dave.  I think your car car would look just as good if you wanted to put the effort into it.  It requires a lot of time and patience to get it done but not a lot of money. Polishing and waxing won't take out deep scratches or remove paint chips on the front - my car still has them - but it will give it a really deep color and shine. Even if you don't want to spend the time polishing you should try some of the Butter Wet Wax. It's really good stuff.

Actually Ronnie, I am a bit lazier then that. My daughter dated a guy tears ago who is a body man at the local Buick dealership. I call him up every few years and he touches up my cars and buffs them out. He was the one that painted my outside mirrors Red. I will be taking the Red back in after I am done with the engine/tranny swap to make it as nice as I can.

I am thinking this will be the last time. My income is still pretty good but may fall off as I get closer to retirement [65] and I may not have the same amount of discretionary income. Unless of course I sell more car parts.

... My income is still pretty good but may fall off as I get closer to retirement [65] and I may not have the same amount of discretionary income. ...

You will make it just fine Dave. You will learn to make do with what you have and you will have plenty of time on your hands to do things yourself like the buffing to save money. :)

• 1 month later...

My car has been under the cover for a while now so I've had nothing new to post. Now that the Bradford Pear trees are blooming I'm getting back in the mood to work on the Reatta.  

I've still got a few things on my Reatta to-do list. Replacing the fuel filter and PCV valve is at the top of the list. I have some things to do around the house to get ready for Spring but I'm hoping to get started back on the Reatta this week.  I'm looking forward to spring and summer driving and going to car shows.

I hope everyone is having nice weather where you live!

Hey Ronnie,

I know what you mean about the Reatta's being undercover. Yesterday was a very nice day, got up to 60 but the wind was blowing all day. I thought about getting the Reatta out but then thought about all that dust that would be on it and putting the cover back on over it would have been a disaster.

Then about 10pm last night the temps dropped fast and it started to snow....CRAZY! I woke up to almost 6 inches of snow. I am definitely ready for Spring to come and make it quick.

Wow Frog. I was thinking maybe winter is over. It's 69 and cloudy here right now but our weather comes from the west so who knows what's in store for us... :)

I am thinking this will be the last time. My income is still pretty good but may fall off as I get closer to retirement [65] and I may not have the same amount of discretionary income. Unless of course I sell more car parts.

I was offered early retirement at the age of 60. I was a bit nervous going into it. Now I'm 63 and I can say it was the BEST decision ever! Sometimes I wonder how I had time to do anything while I was working. I'm sure you're going to love being retired when you finally do it!

I have been semi retired for years and comment to my friends all the time wondering how they get anything done working full time. Every year I anticipate my income will drop [i sell Health Insurance and Medicare Products] but as of yet it is still going strong as there is still too much confusion for the average guy and agents are still needed.

When I was a teenager I remember talking to some friends that "Wouldn't it be great if I could work until 40 and then retire and then go back to work at age 60 for the rest of my life"? Well at age 40 I started selling insurance worked real hard for about 5-6 years building my business and because of that hard work have been semi retired ever since, with no indication that I have to go back and get a "real" job.

I have been blessed...

• 4 weeks later...

I've not updated this thread for a while. I guess it's too late to post anymore about what I'm going to do before spring gets here. It's here in Tennessee and it's time to start enjoying my Reatta!

I got a little lazy after spending so much time buffing on the paint but I still was able to accomplished most of what I wanted to get done. I still haven't changed the PCV valve or replaced the photocell. I didn't get around to doing anything about the rattling Catalytic Converter either. I guess that will be projects for next winter.

• Ronnie featured this topic