Key stuck in on position

bghere

Hi all, Has anyone ever pulled steering wheel to replace ignition cylinder with key? and where can I buy one for 1989 . I seen a youtube replacing on a Rivera, So I come to the experts here to get info.

What exactly is your issue ? Not sure if 89 had VATS. 88 didn't and 90 did, never had an 89.

88 and 89 use square column, the end of the cylinder has the gear on it that activates the rack, on other gm cars with that column, the rack would crack and the .key would bind.  90 and 91 use the traditional round gm column and you don't have the rack breaking issue, and those have the vat system

• Thanks 1

On 4/8/2021 at 4:03 PM, bghere said:

Hi all, Has anyone ever pulled steering wheel to replace ignition cylinder with key? and where can I buy one for 1989 . I seen a youtube replacing on a Rivera, So I come to the experts here to get info.

I got an email with the following information about replacing the ignition lock cylinder. I don't know how accurate it is but I thought you might find it useful.

" I am pretty sure you don't have to pull the steering wheel. The lock comes out with a paper clip pushed into a small hole on the face where the key goes in."

My '89 had an issue (maybe not the same as bghere), but the key was sometimes hard to turn in the ignition. And, if it didn't turn, the trans would not move out of Park. My dealer replaced the ignition lock cylinder with new keys included. Cost (in July 2016) was $139 - $51 for the cylinder and balance for labor.