My search for better performance

2seater

This should be titled stupid pet tricks?

Stop at the gas station to fuel up. This was the Yamaha 750 triple, four stroke. Triple disc brakes, shaft drive, self cancelling turn signals, fairly high tech for a mid 70’s bike, but heavy. After fueling, putting gloves back on and leaning against bike. Reach over to hit start button while next to bike. Bike still in gear apparently but touch starter and it lurches forward just enough for the stand to fold. Slow motion the bike leans over against me and keeps leaning as I try to ease it down while trying to look like I meant to do that. Man, what a dufus move. Only saving grace was early morning on way in to work. 

• Haha 1

I did have a 49cc Honda Spree and my big deal was wanting to get "leathers" and go to a biker bar...

Never did it, my neighbor talked me out of it.

• Haha 3

• 3 months later...

My first motorcycle was a 1972 Kawasaki H2 750 triple. It would bog down when it was cold but I found myself looking straight up but caught it in time. It was nicknamed "The Widow Maker". From there I bought a new 1980 Kawasaki KZ1300 six cylinder. Didn't try to pull wheelies with that one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RLTherio said:

My first motorcycle was a 1972 Kawasaki H2 750 triple. It would bog down when it was cold but I found myself looking straight up but caught it in time. It was nicknamed "The Widow Maker". From there I bought a new 1980 Kawasaki KZ1300 six cylinder. Didn't try to pull wheelies with that one.

I am surprised you survived that H2 😳 I had a friend that had one he drag raced with, crankcase stuffers, pipes and other performance mods. Scary fast for sure. He let me try it a couple times. Roll on hard at highway speeds and the front wheel would get light and steering response would go away. Hats off to your skill or luck👍

I'm going to chalk it up to luck. I now own a 1986 Kawasaki Concours and a 1987 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator.

846.jpg.73afc6ab1a2fe6853d26c494dd3cb745.jpg843.jpg.8d84841daa6029cf7a317c74c07d132d.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RLTherio said:

My first motorcycle was a 1972 Kawasaki H2 750 triple.

I had a friend who owned one and I rode it several times. Scariest bike I ever rode. I was an excellent rider and loved to do wheelies but everything happened to fast to keep control of that monster when it hit the powerband.

EDIT: rode it several times, not road it several times. I hate phones and autocorrect  🙂

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I didn't know exactly where to put this or even to post or not. Winter is a comin' so of course with the impending putting the car in storage I wanted to gather a little information in case I get ambitious enough to maybe modify some PROMS over the winter. I have done precious little follow on tuning of my present turbo installation. It has some flaws but I generally just try to drive within the range where it works well and doesn't knock. I contacted Ryan at GM Tuners via email to ask a couple of questions and he was more than generous with his time and suggestions. I know I can modify the timing tables and some other things but I was looking for direction on how to relate that to the larger MAF I am using and the LV8 or engine load axis in the table. I found things I didn't know existed, like a spark modifier table which kicks in with the TCC locked, something I think I can use. Much is pretty much over my head but it helps get a direction. One of the last things I am doing before winter is get a general sense if the larger MAF will capture the airflow without going out of the frequency range the ECM can read. I knew this had to be done cautiously as there are apparent bad points in my present tuning where I get into knock, or something else, and the engine just lays down (loses power). No time to break something now. Ambient air temp is right at 40F*. I am sure there is more in it but the best I registered was 138gr/sec using the built in air flow reading in diagnostics. I know the larger MAF flows roughly 1.5 times the air at the same frequency of the stock MAF, so that approximates a reading of 207 gr/sec if the stock MAF would extend that far (maximum is 170). This is just a long winded way of saying that the large MAF will be able to capture the total airflow in all conditions which will facilitate tuning instead of just guessing. 

This might explain why I would be the wrong person to ask about programming the ECM. 🙂

calculator clear.jpg

• Haha 2

What you need is a 1994 Buick Park Avenue Ultra Prom. That was an early boosted 3800 & the maps are a good starting place. Pretty sure I sent the .bin to Ryan a long time ago & was the basis for the L67 in Greg's 88. Think it was a BDZF.

Let me know if you need more info. Do you have the C.A.T.S. tuning stuff ?

Edited by Padgett

4 hours ago, Padgett said:

What you need is a 1994 Buick Park Avenue Ultra Prom. That was an early boosted 3800 & the maps are a good starting place. Pretty sure I sent the .bin to Ryan a long time ago & was the basis for the L67 in Greg's 88. Think it was a BDZF.

Let me know if you need more info. Do you have the C.A.T.S. tuning stuff ?

Thanks a bunch. I use TunerPro for the chip changes but I think I have .bins from more than one source. Part of the problems I create for myself is the piecemeal way I have worked on this project. I guess it has been about two decades now and I forget the things I learn before I get back to doing additional work. I keep wondering why I don't just stick with a project but there always seems to be something else to do. Being retired is a blessing, but living alone means nothing else is being done while I am doing something else. Not sour grapes or woe is me, just the way it is. I value the input greatly and will definitely have questions when I can sit down and get the program investigations going. 

I just looked quickly at the timing table that is on this laptop for an example of where I am and where it needs improvement. In this case, at 2000 rpm, at full load, a LV8 of 256, the timing in that cell is set at 18.9*. If I move down on the load chart about a third of the way from the top, such as from a lower MAF reading, timing is almost exactly double that at 39* at the same 2000rpm. Pretty easy to get into trouble. 

AFAIR (was in the '00s) we started with the Park Avenue prom and layered the Reatta specific stuff onto that. Kept all of the table values. Used a hex editor for the large moves. May have been EDITBIN. Hard part was when Greg added the Getrag and all of the 44T4 stuff needed to be removed.

13 minutes ago, Padgett said:

AFAIR (was in the '00s) we started with the Park Avenue prom and layered the Reatta specific stuff onto that. Kept all of the table values. Used a hex editor for the large moves. May have been EDITBIN. Hard part was when Greg added the Getrag and all of the 44T4 stuff needed to be removed.

Yes, I remember. It was pioneering stuff for sure.

Much is over my head at this point, but I am sort of regarding learning more as my version of Sudoku to get my old brain moving. I have dragged this out so long that the old Gateway notebook I used as my chip burning, engine recording and program changing computer is so long in the tooth, the battery is junk and it must be powered from an external source. That isn't really an issue but my updated TunerPro RT software is on a newer HP laptop that will connect to the internet which is necessary. The old notebook has a serial port which all my chip burning and car connections were designed for, the modern computer does not, but it does have the ability to connect a recent Moates cable to connect directly to the ECM in the car, which I have done previously and the car will run on the laptop. I haven't figured out how to get it to show me which cell the engine is accessing in real time but I think that may be an upgrade from TunerPro??

Acer Recertified often has good deals on late model notebooks, any more I prefer a 14 or 15" touchscream. Woot.com has Amazon surplus stock.

Most Moates and TunerCat software runs just fine under the latest Windows 10.

Lots of software to just transfer files and programs from an old computer to a new one.

Is amazing how much faster a 500 GB SSD is than any rotating drive.

Amazon has a RS232 (old serial port) adapter to USB

Like this ?

gtpdash24may.jpg

Edited by Padgett

Similar but that doesn’t look like a Reatta dashboard. 🤔

I need to get myself back up to speed before I commit to new hardware

On 11/1/2021 at 3:45 PM, 2seater said:

I didn't know exactly where to put this or even to post or not. Winter is a comin' so of course with the impending putting the car in storage I wanted to gather a little information in case I get ambitious enough to maybe modify some PROMS over the winter. I have done precious little follow on tuning of my present turbo installation. It has some flaws but I generally just try to drive within the range where it works well and doesn't knock. I contacted Ryan at GM Tuners via email to ask a couple of questions and he was more than generous with his time and suggestions. I know I can modify the timing tables and some other things but I was looking for direction on how to relate that to the larger MAF I am using and the LV8 or engine load axis in the table. I found things I didn't know existed, like a spark modifier table which kicks in with the TCC locked, something I think I can use. Much is pretty much over my head but it helps get a direction. One of the last things I am doing before winter is get a general sense if the larger MAF will capture the airflow without going out of the frequency range the ECM can read. I knew this had to be done cautiously as there are apparent bad points in my present tuning where I get into knock, or something else, and the engine just lays down (loses power). No time to break something now. Ambient air temp is right at 40F*. I am sure there is more in it but the best I registered was 138gr/sec using the built in air flow reading in diagnostics. I know the larger MAF flows roughly 1.5 times the air at the same frequency of the stock MAF, so that approximates a reading of 207 gr/sec if the stock MAF would extend that far (maximum is 170). This is just a long winded way of saying that the large MAF will be able to capture the total airflow in all conditions which will facilitate tuning instead of just guessing. 

My older brother is really into tuning. He would probably talk to you all day about it if you wanted to lol.  He's got a flow bench setup and stuff kind of like you do and is also really into porting heads and stuff like that. He mostly uses a megasquirt ECU platform rather than trying to tune an OE ECU.  Most of that stuff is way over my head, although I do want to learn myself at some point.  

But all that said. He might could help you out or at least give you some ideas. If you were actually interested I could get you in touch.

• Thanks 1

2seater: that is the display from an 8" windows tablet on a magmount connected to the ALDL socket and running TunerPro RT software with a custom definition. My point is that a multiparameter display with logging is not very difficult. You are not limited to a single value at a time. When troubleshooting an intermittent I like to look at many things. Lots better than unrolling a Brush trace in a long hallway.

2 hours ago, Padgett said:

2seater: that is the display from an 8" windows tablet on a magmount connected to the ALDL socket and running TunerPro RT software with a custom definition. My point is that a multiparameter display with logging is not very difficult. You are not limited to a single value at a time. When troubleshooting an intermittent I like to look at many things. Lots better than unrolling a Brush trace in a long hallway.

Thank you, I shall look into that. I can do logs like that on either the old or newer notebook/laptop but they are rather clumsy and frankly weight a bit. The newer model can fold back on itself to operate in tablet mode but it still is heavy and hard to mount. I know what you mean about scrolling through a run and actually have a GoPro clone being delivered today for video that can record the readouts while including the boost gauge as well. I have a custom program from Robert I Saar at Tunerpro to access the ALDL and turn off the other communication for cleaner recordings, less lag time. Works only on a '90. Do the aforementioned tablets have a USB connection?