Rough day for my reatta - trunk and tonneau cover will not release.

Philbo

So last night I was driving and when i parked and turned off the car the antenna was still trying unsuccessfully to retract. I was able to push the antenna in manually but the motor was still going so I unplugged it and removed the fuse.  This morning I place my backpack in the trunk and drive to work. I get there and the trunk will not release. I go to try and get in through the tonneau but it will not release either. I had to release everything manually to get my backpack. Any ideas? Thought maybe blew the fuse but it seems it's on the same fuse as the door locks and those still work.  I was thinking the two incidents are related somehow, but the trunk did work this morning when I left.

Ok time out, just a brain fart this time. I had a weird feeling that I did something dumb. I went out to look and behold I had left the car in drive and that is why the trunk would not work ?. Time to go grab another cup of coffee, my brain is not functioning this morning. That said, any ideas on the antenna? Am I doomed to have to replace it?

The cable that runs the antenna up and down probably has broke. Time to repair or replace.

• Like 1

Is there a known repair? It did not appear like it would be easy to get apart.  I will probably just replace it though. The part does not seem to be hard to find.

It has a plastic, maybe nylon, cord in it that gets brittle and breaks. It can be repaired but I don't think it is easy. Best bet is to contact one of the vendors that sell them. either used or repaired. I think Barney Eaton repairs them. Aftermarket antennas will work but they might require some modification to the wiring.

Owners Manual says to make sure the antenna is lubed. However, if the cable is broke as Ronnie speculates, no amount of lube will work.

Barney was repairing the cable, at least recently. An alternative is to unplug the antenna and just pull up about 3". Is enough for local and BT adapter to link my cell phone. Have over 500 albums on it (not Apple).

• Like 1