Fuel Door Hinge Replacement/Fix

Ron Walker

I have an issue with the fuel door, but different than that posted by BRD. The photos attached show the fuel door open, but the hinge attachment point in question is shown inside the quarter panel. When open, the entire fuel door is "floppy" and moves around such that it feels like it will soon fall off. Reattachment after opening the fuel door is a combination of fitting and centering the entire fuel door over the opening, and then pushing in to "lock" it into place. Any thoughts?  (Photos courtesy of my brother)

IMG_1152.JPG

IMG_1150.JPG

IMG_1151.JPG

Thanks ship.  That gives me a good start. The pictured item on eBay shows the hinge and attachment points pretty clearly and gives me an idea of what to expect, including cost range. 

My Reatta is Claret Red (Burgundy), so I'll check with some of the advertised vendors (e.g. Jim Finn, etc.).

• Like 1

Another question before I continue the search. Can the painted outside of the fuel door be removed from the hinged portion and then be reattached to another functional hinge?

If so, I'd consider buying the Red Fuel Filler Door OEM shown on the eBay site, remove the Red, and replace it with my Claret and then reinstall the unit onto/into my Reatta. I say this because the hinge attachments shown on the eBay site look pretty nice. 

I say this also because about 2 years ago, I had hit and run damage repaired on the left quarter panel, it was repainted, as was the fuel filler door. I'd be guaranteed a perfect paint match if I can remove and reattach the painted outside to a functional hinge.

Yes, agree on Jim. He supplied a good fuel door hinge for my grandsons car, His was so bad we had to grind the attachment studs off inside the wheelwell. If it comes without the nuts for the new one, the same ones from the metal covering will work. It adjusts several different ways so sometimes fiddly to get reasonable alignment with the fender contour.

Just saw the post. Yes the outer painted plate is attached separately

Edited by 2seater
  • Thanks 1

Got a replacement coming from Jim Finn. Burgundy fuel door. 

When replaced, will take photos of the process and post at a later date. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Finally had my fuel door replaced thanks to my brother.  I held the light. The photos hopefully make some sense. The instructions I rec'd from Jim Finn were simple and easy to follow. He advised how to replace the entire fuel door assembly, as well as, how to remove and replace the painted outside of the fuel door to reattach to the replacement hinge assembly. His instructions are as follows:

"Remove the rear tire. Remove the two #7 screws holding the rear inner fender and then remove the two #10 nuts holding the gas door hinge to the body. The hinge will slip out of the opening in the black plastic surround around the gas filler." Replace the old with the new, and reverse the process. 

In addition, Jim advised how to remove and replace the painted door from the hinge assembly, as follows:

"Remove the two screws holding the latch to the back side of the cover, then remove the plastic cover which exposes two nuts. Then take off the two nuts holding the hinge to the door." Replace with the other door and reverse the process. 

Picture shows the wheel removed for access to the inner fender. (Sorry, the photo is sort of screwed up)456341283_Reattawithleftrearwheelremoved.jpeg.42e4b87dd8aaaa685185caca2db7f1d7.jpeg 

After removal of the inner fender, the backside of the "box" to which the fuel door hinge assembly is bolted to is exposed. Had to grind off the nuts. 1637245137_Reattashowsboxforfueldoorattachmentinsidewheelwell.jpeg.d5124000f2da570c2898243bf2e46798.jpeg

Easy removal of the fuel door assembly. Shown is the replacement with studs intact, with the lower door shown with the studs cut off for removal since the nuts were too rusty to be removed. Also, this shows the slight difference in colors of the painted door, so these were exchanged allowing for the paint match to the quarter panel. 653331030_Reattareplacementwithstudsremoveddoorstudscutoff.jpeg.e3def3b20bc4852e1224d50c15b2faf1.jpeg

These photos show the back of the plastic removed from the fuel door assembly , which just "snaps off."  The first photo shows the fuel door still attached to the assembly showing the two nuts holding the hinge to the door, and the second photo shows the hinge and door assembly bolted in final position but with the black plastic ready to "snap" into place. The black plastic also has the "catch assembly" that holds the door closed prior to the door release.

1702922704_Reattashowsdoorremovedfromplastic.jpeg.d2b7cd40632b498aac0a08ee2c207d25.jpeg41667405_Reattawithfueldoorinstalledbutplasticcoveroff.jpeg.5bc5e378c60700be925e7e20e3c2cb6f.jpeg

• Thanks 1