Wrap roof for a 2-tone look

RonH

I have a pristine 1988 red Reatta with 32,000 miles.  I'm thinking of putting a gloss black wrap on the roof.  The windows have been tinted, but otherwise, no mods.  If I use the right professional to do the wrap, I'm assured that if I ever want to remove the wrap, it won't damage the paint.  Comments?

I also plan to put on shiny chrome wheels, but will keep the originals.  The original wheels are perfect, but I want more bling.

It sounds like an interesting idea. I have wondered about wraps as well. I know some have done plasti-dip type coatings on other parts as a temporary color change or experiment. Most of us find the stock wheels far from perfect, but all opinions are welcome? Photos when done??

This might give you some idea of how it would look. When I first saw this car I thought it was a convertible but after giving it a second look it  actually appears to be a coupe with the roof covered in some type of cloth material. I think it looks cool with the cloth top look. I don't think I would like just a shiny black top but who knows?

Rawjas_Buick_Reatta_1989_CarriageTop_01.jpg

Thanks for the reply.  Interesting how they made this coupe appear to be a convertible.  I like it!  The advantage of the wrap may be in getting it back to stock by removing the wrap.  Not sure this would be as easy for a vinyl top.

An interesting idea but IMHO, being the purist that I am, I prefer to keep mine totally stock, especially the wheels.  I can appreciate upgrades for safety reasons but get tired of people trying to make their car something it was never meant to be. 

By the way, does anyone have ideas as to restoring stock rims?  Mine aren't too bad, just a little corrosion on the edges and the protective coating coming off.  Seems all the people who do this only want to either polish them bright or powder coat them.

• Sad 1

I like the "convertible look" of the red car posted by Ronnie, and it looks so natural that I can get over the fact that it ain't stock. I'm inclined to agree otherwise with fun car guy, i.e. keep it stock. In that vein, I don't like the looks of the splash guard on the rear of the red car posted by Ronnie. Ugh. Actually, anything that nice would likely not be driven in any conditions requiring splash guards in any event. 

It is good we all have different tastes; likes and dislikes, or we would all be driving the same car? For example, IMHO convertibles only look good with the top down, and lack the sleekness of a hardtop (as well as the rigidity). Why would I want to add an un aerodynamic accessory? Of course, I ordered a brand new AMC Pacer when they came out in 1975, so my sense of style may be questioned ?

• Haha 1

While reading 2seater's post, I was discerning his seriousness, but when I came to the Pacer comment, I had to bust out laughing.  Still chuckling as I type this.

1 hour ago, 2seater said:

I ordered a brand new AMC Pacer when they came out in 1975, so my sense of style may be questioned

I'll bet you would have loved the four door if they had put it into production. ?

4door2.jpg

Ooh, baby! The doors were different sizes from side to side. You even got the color correct. Just missing the “X” tape stripe?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Haha, I Love it!  Yes, as our generation used to say, different strokes for different folks!

A good friend of mine traded in his 1970 Monte Carlo on a Pacer. To this day still can't figure it out...

Edited by DAVES89
  • Like 1

I didn't mean to put down a Pacer. It may be an oddball type vehicle, but I'm sure it had its attributes. I never sat in a Pacer and therefore have no first hand knowledge to have an opinion. It may have been pretty practical. However, its green house is reminiscent of the Reatta in some way. In fact, the green house of the Reatta is one of its strong attributes and one of the reasons its enjoyable to drive, and particularly in parking situations. If I compare the green house of the Pacer and the Reatta to my '10 Camaro that has been so criticized by auto journalists and testers to being atrocious, as well as from first hand experience, I'd say the Pacer has a plus in its column for that reason alone.  

I can't be critical of anyone owning a Pacer either. I once owned one of these. A fiat 500, or maybe it was a 600. I burnt up the engine in it by changing the oil but that is a whole other story. ?

Ron had a 1965 Fiat 500 red.jpg

• Haha 1

OMG Ronnie, I thought I was brave admitting the Pacer ownership?

Yes the Camaro has a well deserved reputation for poor sight lines, but it’s other attributes are very good. Unfortunately, my search for probably my last new car has convinced me that new car styling trumps everything else, and not being able to see out of it is unimportant. Being one eyed makes it more apparent?

The Pacer was my first brand new car, ordered to my specifications, but air conditioning not being one of them. Visibility to the rear, with the back seat down, was so good you could almost see the top of the rear bumper from the drivers seat. The lack of a/c was one of my best “doh” moments. So hot in the fish bowl it was traded in on a new Hornet wagon with V8 and a/c one year later.? 

• Like 1